Viewer Comments: Gout - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I first developed gout about six months ago. I thought it was a charley horse or ingrown toenail, but it was neither. My right toe swelled and I could not walk. I was limping around at work and could not wear a shoe, so I had to stick that foot in a bedroom shoe. I ended up at ER after work and they confirmed it to be gout. Three days had already gone by, so by the time I got the prescription after ER visit, the pain and swelling went away. I really don't know what's worse, shingles pain or gout pain. I think it's a tie!

Comment from: Puck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I have had my first attack. It's been about nine days and finally went to the doctor yesterday (I'm stubborn I guess). I have NEVER had such agonizing pain! I have had knee surgery and nothing compares to this. The doctor prescribed medication, which makes me a little woozy, but is helping... If you think you might be having a gout attack, GET HELP RIGHT AWAY!! Nothing is worth this pain!

Comment from: Balomet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Before we figured out it was gout, I had a swollen knee with burning pains and a burning sensation on one foot. After blood tests for urea, I found that I have too much uric acid. And yes, it's gout.

Comment from: Silver Fox, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have gout and the large toe on my right foot is swollen. It is also red and painful. It woke me up in the middle of the night with intense pain.

Comment from: Libran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Thank you for an excellent referral site regarding gout. I've been on a diuretic for high blood pressure for at least 10 years and one of the contraindications say gout could present. I woke up last night with such severe pain in my foot, emanating from my big toe, I couldn't get to sleep. I've taken analgesics today and the pain has subsided a lot but I still can't move my toes. Seems like you take medication to cure one illness which, in turn, gives you something else...

Comment from: Tickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

The information was very helpful and will enable me to better understand and describe my "sore foot" to my physician as well as be aware of medications I now take that I need to ask if there will be a reaction.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm in the middle of my first gout attack. It is going on 3 days now and the pain is slowly getting better. Pain started while sleeping at night, was somewhat better the next day, then excruciating pain since then. It showed up in the foot just below the big toe with swelling and redness. I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the doctor today. It didn't take her long to diagnose. I am waiting on a blood test to measure the level of uric acid to determine the next step. I feel for the patients with gout in multiple areas. This is extremely painful just in the big toe. I am grateful for the wealth of information on the Internet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had first attack in 2006 in big toe on right foot lasted about 7 days then mid way through 09 woke up thinking my toe was being burned off episode lasted about 5 weeks settling down then flaring up had 2 more attacks since last one is into the third week now and involves my whole right foot and ankle not happy really effects your life

Comment from: panda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

For the last 10 years odd I am a GOUT patient. I always get pain on my right leg and knee. I am taking medications to get rid of the situations. Of course I am a psoriasis disease patient, thus GOUT might have developed because of my skin disorder.

Comment from: Tricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My first attack came about 2 years ago with acute swelling and agonizing pain in the little toe of my left foot. I realized it was gout and it took about 3 weeks to subside. Last year I began developing swelling in both my hands - especially my right index finger and middle right finger. On the index finger there are little pin points of white which looks like an infection but is not. Now 'officially' diagnosed (my doctor originally just said it was arthritis - wear and tear) by my consultant hematologist (I am in remission from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) I have been prescribed 300mg allupriniol daily and am waiting to see if anything improves. In its chronic state, it is painful and makes it hard to flex my fingers but it is not the agonizing pain of an acute attack. It does hurt and is an inconvenience though.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?