Viewer Comments: Gout - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Symptoms

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm in the middle of my first gout attack. It is going on 3 days now and the pain is slowly getting better. Pain started while sleeping at night, was somewhat better the next day, then excruciating pain since then. It showed up in the foot just below the big toe with swelling and redness. I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the doctor today. It didn't take her long to diagnose. I am waiting on a blood test to measure the level of uric acid to determine the next step. I feel for the patients with gout in multiple areas. This is extremely painful just in the big toe. I am grateful for the wealth of information on the Internet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had first attack in 2006 in big toe on right foot lasted about 7 days then mid way through 09 woke up thinking my toe was being burned off episode lasted about 5 weeks settling down then flaring up had 2 more attacks since last one is into the third week now and involves my whole right foot and ankle not happy really effects your life

Comment from: panda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

For the last 10 years odd I am a GOUT patient. I always get pain on my right leg and knee. I am taking medications to get rid of the situations. Of course I am a psoriasis disease patient, thus GOUT might have developed because of my skin disorder.

Comment from: Tricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My first attack came about 2 years ago with acute swelling and agonizing pain in the little toe of my left foot. I realized it was gout and it took about 3 weeks to subside. Last year I began developing swelling in both my hands - especially my right index finger and middle right finger. On the index finger there are little pin points of white which looks like an infection but is not. Now 'officially' diagnosed (my doctor originally just said it was arthritis - wear and tear) by my consultant hematologist (I am in remission from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) I have been prescribed 300mg allupriniol daily and am waiting to see if anything improves. In its chronic state, it is painful and makes it hard to flex my fingers but it is not the agonizing pain of an acute attack. It does hurt and is an inconvenience though.

Comment from: In pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

My pain started about six years ago. I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. This occurs about one a year. It wasn't until last year that my doctor finally diagnosed me with gout. The flare usually only lasts about a day or so, and it only affect the top of my right foot, so far. The last episode has been going on for eight days and counting. I was never prescribed any medication from my doctor, but I am starting to think it's time now.

Comment from: cdadave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have had gout since I was in my thirties, and at one time I had a uric acid level of 11.0. Over the years I had severe flare-ups in all of my joints, especially the ankles and knees. I had to go to the emergency room twice due to gout pain. I've had virtually no gout symptoms since 2005, when I began treatment by a rheumatologist. I've been on a regimen of 600mg a day of Allopurinol, and that keeps my Uric Acid level in normal range, somewhere around 3.5.

Comment from: alrenwald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I experience my first gout attack in summer of 2001. I didn't know what it was. I had pain, tenderness and swelling in my right lower leg, ankle and foot. The pain was incredible. I have had recurrent attacks 1-2 times every year or so. I'm not on any medications, and I do forget at time that I shouldn't be eating a lot of steak and seafood and organ meats. I was really good the past ten months, then I fell off the proverbial wagon and I binged on ribeyes and crab legs. Am I a glutton for punishment or what? I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. I am currently eating dried cherries and that seems to do the trick for me.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Hi I just had a bad attack on my right foot not knowing what the pain was. When I took my shoe off my foot felt like it's on fire and was completely swelled up. I managed to drive myself home after work and had a foot massage at home. I then elevated my foot to find that the pain got worse. I went to the doctor and I was told that I have gout. I have never had this kind of pain in my life. It is really painful, but sometimes, painkillers help manage the pain.

Comment from: harvey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

When my gouty arthritis flares, I get painful swelling in my foot with marked redness.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?