Viewer Comments: Gout - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: In pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

My pain started about six years ago. I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. This occurs about one a year. It wasn't until last year that my doctor finally diagnosed me with gout. The flare usually only lasts about a day or so, and it only affect the top of my right foot, so far. The last episode has been going on for eight days and counting. I was never prescribed any medication from my doctor, but I am starting to think it's time now.

Comment from: cdadave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have had gout since I was in my thirties, and at one time I had a uric acid level of 11.0. Over the years I had severe flare-ups in all of my joints, especially the ankles and knees. I had to go to the emergency room twice due to gout pain. I've had virtually no gout symptoms since 2005, when I began treatment by a rheumatologist. I've been on a regimen of 600mg a day of Allopurinol, and that keeps my Uric Acid level in normal range, somewhere around 3.5.

Comment from: alrenwald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I experience my first gout attack in summer of 2001. I didn't know what it was. I had pain, tenderness and swelling in my right lower leg, ankle and foot. The pain was incredible. I have had recurrent attacks 1-2 times every year or so. I'm not on any medications, and I do forget at time that I shouldn't be eating a lot of steak and seafood and organ meats. I was really good the past ten months, then I fell off the proverbial wagon and I binged on ribeyes and crab legs. Am I a glutton for punishment or what? I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. I am currently eating dried cherries and that seems to do the trick for me.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Hi I just had a bad attack on my right foot not knowing what the pain was. When I took my shoe off my foot felt like it's on fire and was completely swelled up. I managed to drive myself home after work and had a foot massage at home. I then elevated my foot to find that the pain got worse. I went to the doctor and I was told that I have gout. I have never had this kind of pain in my life. It is really painful, but sometimes, painkillers help manage the pain.

Comment from: harvey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

When my gouty arthritis flares, I get painful swelling in my foot with marked redness.

Comment from: kathy p., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

My right ankle swells up. The skin is red, and at times it feels as if boiling water is being poured on it. Gradually, the swelling spreads across the entire top of my foot, including my toes. As the pain and swelling go away, the tiny bones the on the top of my foot are painful and the skin is "shiny" for lack of a better word. I keep my foot up from the beginning until the end of the whole thing, which lasts from 4days until 8 days. Each time it lasts longer, and are becoming more often.

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: October 14

No pain. Right ankle swollen.

Comment from: nana08, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I first started about six years ago, when I would awake in the middle of the night with the worse pain in my big toe on my right foot. At first I just thought I must have hit my toe on something, but it would happen again a year later. Over the last few years, it happens about every six months. It is very, very painful. I went to the doctor about six months ago and found out it was gout. Now I have it again. I guess I need to go get medication.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: February 03

I can't believe I have gout! I drink very little alcohol, and I eat very little meat, but maybe have not been drinking enough water. You are all right! The pain is terrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was given some meds, right now I am in Beijing, but maybe everyone has more or less the same solutions and now downing lots of water! I do like an occasional beer but it's not worth the pain; a few months ago next to last little toe! I thought my shoes were too tight! This week horrible pains, swollen left wrist, and shooting pains. I'll also go for cherry juice when I get back home; I am bigger on natural remedies than meds if can be helped; thanks for comments.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My first one felt like a stone bruise on the bottom of my big toe joint, then it moved to my full toe. Lately the attacks have been to the top of the foot and ankle (in both feet). Medrol packs usually knock it out quickly, but lately they have caused worse pain and swelling. At the time when it is the worst, I catch myself thinking I'd be better off without my foot because it hurts so bad. I don't drink, and limit my red meat- totally in my genes and I'm 36.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?