Viewer Comments: Gout - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Symptoms

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: kathy p., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

My right ankle swells up. The skin is red, and at times it feels as if boiling water is being poured on it. Gradually, the swelling spreads across the entire top of my foot, including my toes. As the pain and swelling go away, the tiny bones the on the top of my foot are painful and the skin is "shiny" for lack of a better word. I keep my foot up from the beginning until the end of the whole thing, which lasts from 4days until 8 days. Each time it lasts longer, and are becoming more often.

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: October 14

No pain. Right ankle swollen.

Comment from: nana08, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I first started about six years ago, when I would awake in the middle of the night with the worse pain in my big toe on my right foot. At first I just thought I must have hit my toe on something, but it would happen again a year later. Over the last few years, it happens about every six months. It is very, very painful. I went to the doctor about six months ago and found out it was gout. Now I have it again. I guess I need to go get medication.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: February 03

I can't believe I have gout! I drink very little alcohol, and I eat very little meat, but maybe have not been drinking enough water. You are all right! The pain is terrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was given some meds, right now I am in Beijing, but maybe everyone has more or less the same solutions and now downing lots of water! I do like an occasional beer but it's not worth the pain; a few months ago next to last little toe! I thought my shoes were too tight! This week horrible pains, swollen left wrist, and shooting pains. I'll also go for cherry juice when I get back home; I am bigger on natural remedies than meds if can be helped; thanks for comments.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My first one felt like a stone bruise on the bottom of my big toe joint, then it moved to my full toe. Lately the attacks have been to the top of the foot and ankle (in both feet). Medrol packs usually knock it out quickly, but lately they have caused worse pain and swelling. At the time when it is the worst, I catch myself thinking I'd be better off without my foot because it hurts so bad. I don't drink, and limit my red meat- totally in my genes and I'm 36.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.