Viewer Comments: Gout - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Symptoms

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Peggy78, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My first attack in my pre-google days I could not walk because of severe pain. After extensive reading I hit on the idea that like my late father I had GOUT. I had put myself on a cholesterol lowering diet for several weeks. My main food was delicious home made lentil soup and spinach with cheese. I love sardines and everything heavy in Purines. I immediately went on a diet low in Purines and drunk lots of water. In a few days I was O.K.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have attacks of gouty arthritis in my left ankle, right leg and right wrist. I have noticed with each attack the area affected is spreading. Where it use to only effect my right ankle it now effects my whole right leg. On the onset of a attack the effected area feels sore, if I take my colchicine right away I can usually stop it from becoming a full attack. Also I learned from my doctor that I need to take my allopurinol as directed when I am not having a attack because a high uric acid level can damage your kidneys. I also learned that dye contrast can initiate a attack.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed as suffering from Gout. Since a few days ago, I developed pain in the toe (big finger joint) with swelling and the doctor advised me to take Zyloric 100 which I used for a few days, say about 10 days. The pain did not subside but to some extent the swelling subsided. Again after a long walk, the swelling increased with pain and I cannot walk properly.

I have experienced severe gout attacks for about 15 yrs. It started in my big toe and has made its way into my ankle. My last two attacks have become infected and have been the most painful thing that has ever happened to me. I cannot pinpoint the source, so I am not sure what to do. I will just say, if you think you have a case of gout, get to your doctor and get on the meds. I do not wish this kind of pain on anyone and hope your case passes quickly.

I have severe swelling and pain in the primary toe of my left foot and in the ankle joint of my right foot. I am presently taking 50 mg of Indocin twice daily and have been drinking concentrated black cherry juice that is diluted with water.

Comment from: Puck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I have had my first attack. It's been about nine days and finally went to the doctor yesterday (I'm stubborn I guess). I have NEVER had such agonizing pain! I have had knee surgery and nothing compares to this. The doctor prescribed medication, which makes me a little woozy, but is helping... If you think you might be having a gout attack, GET HELP RIGHT AWAY!! Nothing is worth this pain!

Comment from: Balomet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Before we figured out it was gout, I had a swollen knee with burning pains and a burning sensation on one foot. After blood tests for urea, I found that I have too much uric acid. And yes, it's gout.

Comment from: Silver Fox, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have gout and the large toe on my right foot is swollen. It is also red and painful. It woke me up in the middle of the night with intense pain.

Comment from: Libran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Thank you for an excellent referral site regarding gout. I've been on a diuretic for high blood pressure for at least 10 years and one of the contraindications say gout could present. I woke up last night with such severe pain in my foot, emanating from my big toe, I couldn't get to sleep. I've taken analgesics today and the pain has subsided a lot but I still can't move my toes. Seems like you take medication to cure one illness which, in turn, gives you something else...

Comment from: Tickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

The information was very helpful and will enable me to better understand and describe my "sore foot" to my physician as well as be aware of medications I now take that I need to ask if there will be a reaction.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?