Viewer Comments: Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Comment from: Anmol, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am from India, purely vegetarian, extremely low intake of alcohol, still I had a gout attack at the age of 32.

Comment from: Samantha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My test revealed 7.9 uric acid level. I cut out alcohol, red meat, shellfish and other high-purine foods completely AND I began taking a highly-touted cherry extract supplement. After two months a new test revealed my uric acid level was exactly the same at 7.9.

Comment from: tonyccc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had gout for years, and tried just about everything without success. I reduced meat to a minimum, and stopped drinking alcohol altogether. I was having lots of fruit and vegetables and my gout was worsening. Finally I read something about excessive fructose increasing uric acid. I experimented reducing my fruit intake, and bingo! Within days I saw a dramatic improvement. Cherries are the only exception. I eat a lot of them when in season, with no ill effects.

Comment from: Marty49, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have had attacks for years, 2-3 a year. Colchicine worked very well especially if taken quickly when an attack first starts.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I have gout and have changed my diet to include low fat, low cholesterol, and no red meat or shell fish.

Comment from: Gkidney33@aol.com, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

No red meats. Chicken is good as well as veggies, soups, and milk.

Comment from: wiser now, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I believe I caused gout by taking the supplement Mega Red which is krill oil. I didn't realize that krill are shellfish - there is an advisory on the bottle.

Comment from: Chezzy111, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

For months now I have had stiff hands usually my middle three fingers including my wrists. Also affected are my heals and some areas of my feet. I thought I was getting arthritis. It didn't cross my mind that this could be gout because great toes are not affected. Visiting my GP who requested blood tests and prescribed Ibruprofen. I was mortified this is gout an old man's disease. However after weeks of not drinking alcohol and increasing my water intake not much has changed.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?