Viewer Comments: Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Comment from: NOMOREGOUT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had problems with tendonitis, bursitis and yes, gout since I was a teenager. High uric acid runs in the family. My father passed from a disease called polymyositis a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis. I have even had some gout attacks that landed me in the emergency room. This time though was different. I had knee replacement surgery, and the surgeon reported to me that I had tophi coated on all the ligaments and joints in my knee. That was after the surgery and it created such a gout flare up that I was put in the ICU for three days after surgery, with intravenous Dilaudid and the weaker morphine. Well, I used to like to drink gin. I haven't had a drink since that episode. I am three-quarters vegetarian now. I lost 30 pounds, I dropped from 220 to 190. I get regular exercise and flare ups still happen like waves rippling out from the initial attack, each one is weaker than the last. There is one practical piece of advice, or I should say my opinion as to deal with this, stay ahead of it. Get yourself a bottle of prednisone and stick it in the back of a door somewhere. Then, when on Friday night a flare up occurs you don't have to suffer until Monday to get to the doctor (if you can get in). Take 40 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for three days, and 20 for two days. Naprosyn, colchicine, meloxicam, Indocin, they all work, but not like prednisone.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I eat only vegetables. I suffer with pain in joints of big toes and thumbs.

Comment from: agnes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was diagnosed with gout in a thumb a few months ago. After taking Uloric for 2 months my physician took me off the meds and there have been no symptoms for a few months. I had a small cocktail on Tuesday night and the gout symptoms returned the next morning. I had swelling up my wrist and hand with lots of pain. Last night I drank a triple berry smoothie with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, milk, yogurt, and ice. I also drank water before going to bed. I believe that the smoothie ingredients and water helped to relieve the pain and I awoke with no swelling and no pain!

Comment from: js, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had gout flares three times. The last two were six months apart and extremely painful. I just had a uric acid level done but it is normal. The doctor says it is still gout. You can still get it even if level is normal. I don't eat a lot of red meat or drink beer, so I don't know what causes it for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was diagnosed with gout largely because I realized that it was what I had since my brother has had it for decades. I learned that estrogen protects women from gout so I asked about it as treatment to no avail. I will not take any of the drugs prescribed for gout because of impact on liver, etc. I eliminated meat, some shellfish, beer and other high purine foods which are linked to uric acid production. I did lower my uric acid level but not as low as it should be. I hate to have to stop drinking wine, but I may.

Comment from: Sri Lankan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My first few attacks, when I was about 57 years old were not diagnosed. I had excruciating pain in my big toes, spreading to the rest of the feet. I was prescribed antibiotics. About 18 months ago at age 62 a doctor diagnosed arthritic gout and it responded immediately to Famotidine and Diclofenac Sodium. This was followed by an injection to the right toe two weeks later which would settle it for good . Ten months later it was the left big toe, tablets followed by another injection. But three weeks ago, Age 63, it was the left hip area. The pain was much less acute, but it seems chronic. This must be hereditary. I've been a teetotaler all my life. I've decided to carry tablets around with me at all times.

Comment from: refiman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I drank an ocean of beer for the last 40 years and at 61 came down with gout. I quit alcohol, red meats and all shell fish

Comment from: Angelo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I've had gout since I was 17. And after several attacks, I had a study done on my urine output over a 24 hour period. Come to find out my body produces an extremely high amount of uric acid. Daily meds kept it under control for years but the crystals kept forming and attaching themselves to the balls of my feet. Now 30 years later, I not only have the uric acid crystal bunions but it attacks other areas like my elbow and my fingers. I have stopped drinking alcohol and eating red meat to no avail.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?