Viewer Comments: Gout - Diet

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Comment from: agnes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was diagnosed with gout in a thumb a few months ago. After taking Uloric for 2 months my physician took me off the meds and there have been no symptoms for a few months. I had a small cocktail on Tuesday night and the gout symptoms returned the next morning. I had swelling up my wrist and hand with lots of pain. Last night I drank a triple berry smoothie with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, milk, yogurt, and ice. I also drank water before going to bed. I believe that the smoothie ingredients and water helped to relieve the pain and I awoke with no swelling and no pain!

Comment from: js, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had gout flares three times. The last two were six months apart and extremely painful. I just had a uric acid level done but it is normal. The doctor says it is still gout. You can still get it even if level is normal. I don't eat a lot of red meat or drink beer, so I don't know what causes it for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was diagnosed with gout largely because I realized that it was what I had since my brother has had it for decades. I learned that estrogen protects women from gout so I asked about it as treatment to no avail. I will not take any of the drugs prescribed for gout because of impact on liver, etc. I eliminated meat, some shellfish, beer and other high purine foods which are linked to uric acid production. I did lower my uric acid level but not as low as it should be. I hate to have to stop drinking wine, but I may.

Comment from: Sri Lankan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My first few attacks, when I was about 57 years old were not diagnosed. I had excruciating pain in my big toes, spreading to the rest of the feet. I was prescribed antibiotics. About 18 months ago at age 62 a doctor diagnosed arthritic gout and it responded immediately to Famotidine and Diclofenac Sodium. This was followed by an injection to the right toe two weeks later which would settle it for good . Ten months later it was the left big toe, tablets followed by another injection. But three weeks ago, Age 63, it was the left hip area. The pain was much less acute, but it seems chronic. This must be hereditary. I've been a teetotaler all my life. I've decided to carry tablets around with me at all times.

Comment from: refiman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I drank an ocean of beer for the last 40 years and at 61 came down with gout. I quit alcohol, red meats and all shell fish

Comment from: Angelo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I've had gout since I was 17. And after several attacks, I had a study done on my urine output over a 24 hour period. Come to find out my body produces an extremely high amount of uric acid. Daily meds kept it under control for years but the crystals kept forming and attaching themselves to the balls of my feet. Now 30 years later, I not only have the uric acid crystal bunions but it attacks other areas like my elbow and my fingers. I have stopped drinking alcohol and eating red meat to no avail.

Comment from: Anmol, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am from India, purely vegetarian, extremely low intake of alcohol, still I had a gout attack at the age of 32.

Comment from: Samantha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My test revealed 7.9 uric acid level. I cut out alcohol, red meat, shellfish and other high-purine foods completely AND I began taking a highly-touted cherry extract supplement. After two months a new test revealed my uric acid level was exactly the same at 7.9.

Comment from: tonyccc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had gout for years, and tried just about everything without success. I reduced meat to a minimum, and stopped drinking alcohol altogether. I was having lots of fruit and vegetables and my gout was worsening. Finally I read something about excessive fructose increasing uric acid. I experimented reducing my fruit intake, and bingo! Within days I saw a dramatic improvement. Cherries are the only exception. I eat a lot of them when in season, with no ill effects.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Symptoms

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?