Hair Loss (cont.)
Hair Loss Prognosis
The ability to stop hair loss most often depends on the underlying cause.
- If taking a certain medication is the cause, stopping the medication should stop the hair loss.
- The most common type of hair loss, androgenic alopecia, usually follows a pattern with hair thinning in the front of the scalp first and progressing on to involve the back and top of the head. This type tends to be progressive.
- Finasteride helps stop hair loss in a majority of men, and minoxidil decreases hair loss in a significant percentage of men and women.
- The best prevention of hair loss is early treatment. Research has shown that minoxidil is most useful for people who have been losing hair for less than five years.
- A doctor who can help determine if the medications are working and who can watch for side effects of the medications should follow up with people who are being treated with minoxidil or finasteride.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/30/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Hair Loss
Ringworm on Scalp
Scalp ringworm (tinea capitis) is a very common fungal infection among children throughout the world. Symptoms and signs include hair loss, reddening, crusting,...learn more >>