Viewer Comments: Hardening of the Arteries - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries):

Hardening of the Arteries - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hardening of the arteries?

Comment from: 16yrsurvivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My case of atherosclerosis was the result of radiation treatments and chemo therapy to treat cancer of the rectum in 1995. In 2001 I felt pain in my upper legs while walking. After placing a stent in both of my femoral arteries, a bypass was performed in 2002. In 2005, a pseudo aneurysm developed where the graft was connected to the artery in my left leg. Since I no longer had medical insurance, I was forced to wait until I could receive basic health insurance which resulted in my having to be flown to a university hospital for emergency surgery. This was after my left leg swelled twice as large and I went to a local hospital emergency center. The surgery took place five months after my aneurysm appeared and one week prior to my long awaited, scheduled surgery. My case of atherosclerosis was the result of radiation treatments and chemo therapy to treat cancer of the rectum in 1995. In 2001 I felt pain in my upper legs while walking. After placing a stent in both of my femoral arteries, a bypass was performed in 2002. In 2005, a pseudo aneurysm developed where the graft was connected to the artery in my left leg. Since I no longer had medical insurance, I was forced to wait until I could receive basic health insurance which resulted in my having to be flown to a university hospital for emergency surgery. This was after my left leg swelled twice as large and I went to a local hospital emergency center. The surgery took place five months after my aneurysm appeared and one week prior to my long awaited, scheduled surgery.

Must Read Articles Related to Hardening of the Arteries

Angina
Angina Pectoris Angina pectoris is a term to describe chest pain that occurs when the heart is not getting enough blood. There are two types of angina, stable (the most common)...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>

Hardening of the Arteries - Patient Experience

What symptoms led to the diagnosis of your hardening of the arteries? Please describe your experience?

Hardening of the Arteries - Surgery

What type of surgery did you receive to treat your hardening arteries?