Viewer Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Liz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I was about 7 or 8 when I presented symptoms. I was gaining excessive amounts of weight -- maybe 10 to 20 lbs overweight for my age, but I hardly ate anything. I did not have an appetite. My skin on my hands, and elbows was incredibly and excessively dry, and my hands cracked and bled every day, despite that I went to a dermatologist and received treatment (a nasty lotion that burned my broken hands). I was almost always cold, and I did not have the same energy that I used to (I was a very active kid). It turns out, my mother and sister have hypothryoidism, but they do not have Hashimoto's (I don't think). They both presented much later in life.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was around the age of 13 when I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I started puberty at a young age “ 10 -- and that's when I started getting all the symptoms -- all of them. But at the time, we didn't have the money to take me to the doctor, and by the time we did, I had gotten pretty big. I admit, I was depressed; very much so. Thinking back to that time, and how I saw everything, I was a completely different person. I couldn't interact with kids, or people in general because I was so messed up. I didn't understand what was happening to me. My mom took great notice in what was happening and how I was acting. When we finally got health insurance, my mom took me to the doctor, they said I had hypothyroidism. I got medication for that, but when I was around 13, I started getting a goiter. I was having trouble breathing, and I could barely get water, let alone food down my throat. So I went back to the doctor and got tested some more, and that's when I found out. I'm 17 now, and I'm still trying to get it all under control. I'm just a kid and I got stuck with this. I really wish I knew why it happened. No one else in my family has ever had anything like this. I rarely ever hear of kids getting this, so I wonder why I got it so young. Anyways, that's my story in a nutshell for ya.

Comment from: Aussie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

It took 2 years and many doctors to finally be diagnosed with this illness, despite having a strong family history of thyroid dysfunction in one form or another. This is an insidious health issue and easy to get misdiagnosed or dismissed when seeking attention. Comments I have received from various health care professionals were something to the effect of, "You're just getting older.” It wasn't until I got really angry with one doctor and very strongly insisted I have a full blood work up including a thyroid function test (TFT). This showed that my T1 & T2 was abnormal and was sent off again a week later to get the T3 and T4 done to. People should not take no for an answer, get bloods taken and tested.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

At the beginning, I was so tired I would lie on the couch just about every afternoon, too exhausted to keep going, and cry and cry. My nails are still very soft and break easily and some tend to curl under. I have very dry skin plus scalp acne. I struggle with carpel tunnel syndrome, don't tolerate cold well, but get hot and sweaty while I am sleeping. I began to lose some weight after about 6 months on a thyroid medication, but the tiredness and depression keep coming back and I still have foggy thinking, with pressure in my head. I don't know if my nausea is from Hashimoto's or not. At about the same time as I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I learned that my Type 2 diabetes had changed to basically Type 1 and I am now on an insulin pump.

Comment from: MrsMolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had all the signs and symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It was really hard to get anyone to take me seriously. Doctors were telling me that I wasn't getting enough sleep, despite my regular seven to eight hours a night. My body would just feel strange in the morning and I would wake up feeling like I got hit by a steam roller. I was always exhausted and my body would ache. It was always a massive struggle just to move and there were times when I would cry because I would try to get out of bed and couldn't. I knew there had to be a reason I felt this way. Also, I gained weight quickly and could never keep it off. I found it hard to concentrate or remember anything, and it was always a struggle just to get up and do any housework. I felt lazy. I was recently diagnosed and place on thyroid hormone replacement therapy. I really hope it works so I can get back to feeling like a normal person again.

Comment from: lizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I first gained an average of 20 pounds a month for two months. I had heavy vaginal bleeding that lasted a whole year. I suffer from extreme fatigue. I am often confused and cannot concentrate. I have no sex drive at all. I have had excessive hair loss. I have dry brittle hair and nails. I suffer from severe depression. I have extreme aches and pains in my muscles and joints. Worse of all, I now have vitiligo. Unfortunately doctors were very rude and insensitive to my condition because my TSH levels remain "normal". They often told me I needed to stop eating so much. I exercised on a daily basis (jogging, weight training). It took me getting vitiligo on my face for doctors to finally take my thyroid seriously. I was once a pretty young lady. Over the years my voice has deepened. I am overweight with a big upper body. My face is all puffy and fat. I no longer look like the same person. My skin is rough and blotchy. My hands have grown significantly and my feet have grown two whole sizes. The only symptom that I do not have is constipation. Thanks for reading this and good luck to everyone who suffers from this disorder.

Must Read Articles Related to Hashimoto's Disease

Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

How was your Hashimoto's thyroid disease treated?