Viewer Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

At the beginning, I was so tired I would lie on the couch just about every afternoon, too exhausted to keep going, and cry and cry. My nails are still very soft and break easily and some tend to curl under. I have very dry skin plus scalp acne. I struggle with carpel tunnel syndrome, don't tolerate cold well, but get hot and sweaty while I am sleeping. I began to lose some weight after about 6 months on a thyroid medication, but the tiredness and depression keep coming back and I still have foggy thinking, with pressure in my head. I don't know if my nausea is from Hashimoto's or not. At about the same time as I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I learned that my Type 2 diabetes had changed to basically Type 1 and I am now on an insulin pump.

Comment from: MrsMolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had all the signs and symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It was really hard to get anyone to take me seriously. Doctors were telling me that I wasn't getting enough sleep, despite my regular seven to eight hours a night. My body would just feel strange in the morning and I would wake up feeling like I got hit by a steam roller. I was always exhausted and my body would ache. It was always a massive struggle just to move and there were times when I would cry because I would try to get out of bed and couldn't. I knew there had to be a reason I felt this way. Also, I gained weight quickly and could never keep it off. I found it hard to concentrate or remember anything, and it was always a struggle just to get up and do any housework. I felt lazy. I was recently diagnosed and place on thyroid hormone replacement therapy. I really hope it works so I can get back to feeling like a normal person again.

Comment from: lizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I first gained an average of 20 pounds a month for two months. I had heavy vaginal bleeding that lasted a whole year. I suffer from extreme fatigue. I am often confused and cannot concentrate. I have no sex drive at all. I have had excessive hair loss. I have dry brittle hair and nails. I suffer from severe depression. I have extreme aches and pains in my muscles and joints. Worse of all, I now have vitiligo. Unfortunately doctors were very rude and insensitive to my condition because my TSH levels remain "normal". They often told me I needed to stop eating so much. I exercised on a daily basis (jogging, weight training). It took me getting vitiligo on my face for doctors to finally take my thyroid seriously. I was once a pretty young lady. Over the years my voice has deepened. I am overweight with a big upper body. My face is all puffy and fat. I no longer look like the same person. My skin is rough and blotchy. My hands have grown significantly and my feet have grown two whole sizes. The only symptom that I do not have is constipation. Thanks for reading this and good luck to everyone who suffers from this disorder.

Comment from: Kris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I experienced facial edema, extreme muscle cramps, weakness, weight gain, fatigue, joint stiffness, skin blotching, irritability, decreased libido - almost every symptom listed. I didn't have the sluggish reflexes, though.

Comment from: Annie may, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Symptoms at onset: I have Coeliac's disease as well so i put the muscle cramps down to that. I felt flushed, could hear my heart and nervous for no known reason. I felt I was running a temperature all the time and had trouble sleeping. My thinking seemed clouded and I kept forgetting things. I felt like someone was strangling me, as I always had this tightness in my neck, that and I could hear my heart racing and felt short of breath I thought I was having a heart attack. I felt really ill and depressed, my immune system went haywire. I had 3 abscesses in my mouth, caught swine flu and after that the fatigue started. I found it even hard to walk due to lack of energy and muscle cramps. I had my annual review with my Coeliac's consultant who noticed I had put on a stone and how unwell I looked and agitated I seemed. He ordered the thyroid tests.

Comment from: justme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I also had weight gain I have gained 30 lbs over the past few years. I gained the weight and I don't eat anymore than I ever did. I forget things easily, I can set something down and 2 minutes later I forgot where I put it! I get out of breath easily and find it hard to do even simple things like cleaning my house. I sometimes feel faint like I will pass out and feel fluttering in my chest on occasion. I hate this disease!

Must Read Articles Related to Hashimoto's Disease

Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough learn more >>
Myxedema Coma
Myxedema Coma The thyroid gland at the front of the neck is responsible for helping to regulate learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Experience

Please share your experience with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

How was your Hashimoto's thyroid disease treated?