Viewer Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Kris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I experienced facial edema, extreme muscle cramps, weakness, weight gain, fatigue, joint stiffness, skin blotching, irritability, decreased libido - almost every symptom listed. I didn't have the sluggish reflexes, though.

Comment from: Annie may, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Symptoms at onset: I have Coeliac's disease as well so i put the muscle cramps down to that. I felt flushed, could hear my heart and nervous for no known reason. I felt I was running a temperature all the time and had trouble sleeping. My thinking seemed clouded and I kept forgetting things. I felt like someone was strangling me, as I always had this tightness in my neck, that and I could hear my heart racing and felt short of breath I thought I was having a heart attack. I felt really ill and depressed, my immune system went haywire. I had 3 abscesses in my mouth, caught swine flu and after that the fatigue started. I found it even hard to walk due to lack of energy and muscle cramps. I had my annual review with my Coeliac's consultant who noticed I had put on a stone and how unwell I looked and agitated I seemed. He ordered the thyroid tests.

Comment from: justme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I also had weight gain I have gained 30 lbs over the past few years. I gained the weight and I don't eat anymore than I ever did. I forget things easily, I can set something down and 2 minutes later I forgot where I put it! I get out of breath easily and find it hard to do even simple things like cleaning my house. I sometimes feel faint like I will pass out and feel fluttering in my chest on occasion. I hate this disease!

Comment from: justme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I first found out my blood pressure was abnormal at a routine doctor's visit. Then I was sent for tests. My symptoms were extreme fatigue and I would lay in bed all day. I felt like I was just going to die. My heart was beating too slow and felt like it could just stop beating. I am on medication now, but I still don't feel 100%. I wish there was more I could do to make myself well, without surgery!

Comment from: louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Today I have just been told that I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis. I've gained 10 - 12kgs (I am fighting to keep it at 10kg) in the last 7 months & I am battling extreme fatigue with shift work & 2 small children. I have been so concerned because I have gone from a size 12 to 16 in such a short peroid of time, then battling intermittent episodes of feeling so "down" & "low". At 43 years of age my hormones were 'normal'.

Must Read Articles Related to Hashimoto's Disease

Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

How was your Hashimoto's thyroid disease treated?