Viewer Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

How was your Hashimoto's thyroid disease treated?

Comment from: maid marion, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease when I was 28 years old. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster ride ever since. In 2004 I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and was put on medications to control it. After exhausting all medications available, I had a Pacemaker implanted in 2006 to try and alleviate the problem. I have had three Radio Frequency Ablations to try and control the rapid heart rate and each procedure has failed. I have a large goiter in my neck and I have been suffering extreme tiredness stiffness in my joints and I feel like I have been hit by a bus. There are days when I don't want to go anywhere or do anything and so I hide in my house and plod along as best I can I have no energy at times and feel frustrated as to what to do. I have blood tests and I keep getting told that my thyroid tests come back showing normal. My mother had Graves' disease and I had an uncle who also had thyroid problems.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 10 years ago; but about a year ago a new doctor that I went to discovered that I had Hashimoto's. The previous doctor didn't test me for antibodies. I am glad that I dumped him. Demand all the thyroid tests so that you know what you are up against. I was on Armour, but when they reformulated it, it didn't work well for me anymore. In fact it was horrible. So I went on generic Synthroid which is working for me!

Comment from: Gary, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease three years ago. I was started on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and had it gradually increased over the years. Even though I feel better than I have in a while..... I'm not the same as before the disease. I am a carpenter and there are times that I have a lot of physical exertion. I find that when I do I start to have a lot of symptoms again like I did when this disease first started. If I have a bad night's sleep, the symptoms flare up. I find that taking a day or two off to rest has me feeling like myself again. It's like my metabolism is trying to keep up with my activity level but just can't. Although the HRT has me feeling good, it's just not the same as a healthy thyroid gland. A healthy thyroid gland can adjust to your body's needs.

Comment from: lucky1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've had Hashimoto's disease since I was 32. It has changed my life. I have anxiety, feel tired, cannot eat without gaining weight, and I feel like my heart beats way too fast. I'm also nervous all the time.

Comment from: irishjanedoe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have had Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1974. I was 20 when it was diagnosed. Back then, they gave you Synthroid and told you to learn to live with the symptoms. I was always tired, with memory problems, and aches and pains. In 1993, I had severe depression and when they did bloodwork my TSH was very high - 19. 4 - I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. My endocrinologist wouldn't change my dosage. I ended up divorced because my ex said I wasn't getting any better. In 1998 I got a new doctor and he told me if I am on the correct dose I shouldn't have symptoms. I felt great when he was managing my dosage, then he retired. Since 2009 I have felt terrible and again my thyroid was way out of whack - a TSH of 16.8. My new doctor changed my dose again but overdid it so now my TSH is 0.087. But, I now know that other things can affect how you feel. Push for blood tests for Cortisol, B-12, DHEA, Vit-D, and other hormone tests. My DHEA, Vit-D, Cortisol-Am-pm and 24 hour were all very low at the bottom of the normal range. My doctor said he didn't think I needed treatment but if I wanted to take some things, this is what to take. DHEA, and B-12, Vit-D, Vit-C. I got another doctor to order prednisone for the low Cortisol. For the first time in years, I wake up not hurting and feeling good. It has only been a couple of weeks and I hope I continue to feel better. Two Points from this saga. 1. Always ask for your own copies of blood work results, so you know where your TSH level. 2. If you don't feel good; push for other tests, if the doctor won't listen find a new doctor and report him to the AMA. I have been told over the years, it was female hormones, husband problems, work stress and recently menopause, which I went through a few years ago. Don't let doctors treat you like a second class citizen.

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

At 47, I became fatigued, depressed, and had hot and cold flashes. Soon after my hair began falling out, and I had chronic migraines with sound, light, and heat sensitivity. My local doctor told me I needed a psychiatrist after I kept reporting pain in muscles and joints. I finally sought out an Internist who spent an hour taking my history. He sent me to an Endocrinologist after diagnosing me with Hashimoto's disease. I've been on Synthroid and hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

Comment from: lynda, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 20

Ddoctors believe it was the result of mononucleosis which I had a 19 and in college.

Must Read Articles Related to Hashimoto's Disease

Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Causes of hypothyroidism include Hashimotot's thyroiditis, sub...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Disease:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?