Hay Fever (cont.)
Hay Fever Prevention
- You can't prevent hay fever altogether, but you can learn to cope with it.
- Follow the treatment recommendations of your health care provider. The medications are very effective but may take several days to reach full effectiveness.
- Moving to a new part of the country usually doesn't help. People who do this often find themselves with new allergies within a few years.
- Use air conditioning and limit outside exposure during hay fever season.
- Allergy shots may help reduce the severity of your symptoms.
- To keep from bringing your allergy indoors, do what you can to keep your home free of mold and other allergens.
Aneela Naureen Hussain, MD, MBBS
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Hay Fever
An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Some allergens are simply impossible to avoid. You cannot live a normal life and completely avoid pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and certain other common trig...learn more >>
Allergy: Insect Sting
Several insects belonging to the class Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. These insects include honeybees, bumble bees, hornets...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hay Fever: