Hay Fever (cont.)
Hay Fever Prevention
- You can't prevent hay fever altogether, but you can learn to cope with it.
- Follow the treatment recommendations of your health care provider. The medications are very effective but may take several days to reach full effectiveness.
- Moving to a new part of the country usually doesn't help. People who do this often find themselves with new allergies within a few years.
- Use air conditioning and limit outside exposure during hay fever season.
- Allergy shots may help reduce the severity of your symptoms.
- To keep from bringing your allergy indoors, do what you can to keep your home free of mold and other allergens.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/5/2014
Aneela Naureen Hussain, MD, MBBS
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Hay Fever
An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Some allergens are simply impossible to avoid. You cannot live a normal life and completely avoid pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and certain other common trig...learn more >>
Allergy: Insect Sting
Several insects belonging to the class Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. These insects include honeybees, bumble bees, hornets...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hay Fever: