Viewer Comments: Head Injury - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: timca, 25-34 Male Published: September 11

I suffered from a major head injury. I am a man from Great Britain and this is my story of what happened to me that changed my life. It all started on January the forth, I was a student studying film production at university. I had a part time job which I was working on new years eve, so I didn't get the chance to go out, celebrate and party like all my university friends were doing so we rescheduled for the forth of January. As the weather was cold (January usually is in Britain!) and very icy. I was unfortunate that night and slipped over on the ice and banged my head. At first I was alright but after a short while my friends started noticing I wasn't making any sense in what I was talking about and acting peculiar so they phoned me for an ambulance (this I have no recollection of). I was then taken to hospital and they said I had suffered from a blood clot (subdural hematoma) due to the accident. I was then induced into a controlled coma which I remained in for the next four months. I recovered fairly well due to circumstances and I was then transferred to a specialist head injury care home. This is where I started realizing what had happened to me, my memory was terrible, I was in a wheelchair, I couldn't walk, I couldn't speak properly and had many other neurologic problems. I was in the care home for about another eight-nine months before I was discharged. In this nine months I relearned practically everything again, to walk, to speak, to interact in conversation, loads of occupational therapy. I now live my life to the full, and I am so happy that I managed to live through such a traumatic experience. I hope this has been of some use to you and thanks for reading.

Comment from: accident prone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I hit my head on a shelf last night that had a nail sticking out of it. I expected to get a horrible headache but never did. Today it's very sore and my head is numb, almost like I had a local anesthetic. I'm a little concerned about it.

Comment from: clumbsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I tripped and fell hitting a concrete porch, face first. I think my lips, chin area hit first, but realized I had a golf-ball sized knot on my forehead. three days later, my left eye is swollen, black, and red.

Comment from: Searcher, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

I fell in the shower and hit my head severely. That was five days ago. my right eye still hurts if I look left right up or down without turning my head. I took an extra hard hit on that side of my forehead. I also have a black eye. I fear my eye could be damaged.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

At about 7:20 this morning I was lying in a chair half-awake, half-asleep when I heard a loud crash and realized that the chair had fallen over backwards and I had hit my head on a wood and metal counter in back of me. From what I remember, the upper right area of my head hit the counter. I have a slight fever, I feel tired, and I am getting minor headache sensations on the right side of my head every few minutes.

Comment from: MADD, Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was in an 18-wheelertruck accident and we turned over on my side. I hit my head on the window and my sun glasses cut my eye just below my eye brow my whole face was bruised. Where I hit my head was numb I asked the doctor if it was normal she said yes could take 6 to 8 weeks. I am going to the doctor tomorrow my head is still numb and I am now getting severe headaches. It's now been 3 months being a truck driver I can't have headaches like this!

Comment from: Marshall, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Hi, about 2.5 years ago while I was at work, there were 5 or 6 electrical contractors working above our lunch room putting new electric cables in. One of the contractors fell through the ceiling and brought a big chunk of ceiling down on to me. It hit me on the head, neck, and top of the shoulders. It also slammed my head into the table where I was sitting. I momentarily blacked out. I received severe head and deep tissue injuries that I still haven't recovered from. One of the side effects that I noticed was that some of my teeth started to crack, and eventually have fallen out since the accident.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I feel while roller skating and hit my head very hard. I lost consciousness for about a minute and immediately had a knot the size of a baseball on the back of my head. That was 24 hours ago. My head still really hurts, my neck is terribly sore.

Must Read Articles Related to Head Injury

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets Wearing a helmet while bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, or skiing can prevent severe head trauma and disabilities. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of a s...learn more >>
Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms

What are your experience with delays symptoms of brain injury?

Head Injury - Tests

What tests were performed for your head injury?