Viewer Comments: Head Injury - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I'm a 45 year old male who suffered a depressed Skull Fracture my senior year in high school. I have lived a lifetime with this horrible head injury and I don't think there's any way out. I have 3 children and a wife. I lack motivation. I think too deeply. I cannot keep up conversation. I find myself acting sometimes on impulse. I CANNOT KEEP A JOB.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 11

While attempting to jump down the stairs, I hit my head on the corner of a soffit. Then I hit the back of my head on the steps. Witnesses told me I then had a seizure. I had stitches for the gash on top of my head. I didn't remember much and felt bad for a few days after the accident, but never had another seizure. This happened on my 13th birthday. I am now an adult.

Comment from: MadisonsMessenger, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

One month ago 18/10/09 my granddaughter fell down 5 steps hitting her head on ceramic floor, within the hour parents had her at the ER she was vomiting and drowsy, and her speech was slurred when she was questioned by a nurse. The ER doctor discharges her an hour and a half later with HI sheet of symptoms she had 3 of the 6 already. Five hours later my daughter brings Madi back to ER unconscious and still vomiting. A CT reveals large epidural hematoma and linear fracture in skull, her brain was swelling and she was put on life support an hour after her second arrival. She was airlifted to McMaster Children's Hospital for emergency brain surgery. The three-hour surgery that saved her life, but it left her with a titanium plate and 4 screws in her skull. She has an incision from her hairline down the back of her head to just above her right ear. The negligence of the ER sending a 4 yr old home with a near fatal head injury after just a short observation sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Comment from: JMH, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

My husband received a closed head injury 13 months ago. He has mild to severe headaches every day. When the headaches are severe, his balance is bad and he falls sometimes. It has gone on long enough that he is getting depressed about always feeling bad. The medications help sometimes, but the headache never goes away.

Comment from: Mrs.Tlove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I can't quite figure out what to make of my head injury. I fell and hit the corner of an end table. I was instantly knocked out for a good while and I couldn't comprehend much. I could hear what people we saying to me but couldn't answer them right away. I have a good sized bump on my head after. Well it's been about a week and I still have a massive headache, and I only find it's getting worse. I still have the bump on the back of my head too. I never went to the hospital because I thought it would go away. My symptoms include nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and sensitivity to light and sound.

Comment from: Wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

Got whacked in the head the other day by a golf ball ... no mark on the head but is extremely tender to the touch. Am wondering if I should get this checked.

Comment from: thru the cracks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am trying to figure out the difference between depression, closed brain injury frustration and disappointment, and the so many doctors who take notes, ask what other specialists are telling me, give me nothing to help my pain and headaches. Then tell me they will see me in two-three months. I was in an auto accident back in December of 2008. I suffered closed brain injury, neck bulge, and back problems. I have seen specialists, neurologists, family doctor, pain management doctor, pain management psychologist. I had to apply for welfare to help me with medications that I had to stop taking because of having reactions to taking 90 mg of Cymbalta, 900 mg of Gabapentin. I was paying out of pocket 298.00 per month plus my own insurance for over 9 months trying to get better, but to no avail. I suffer with so much pain. I wrote and begged for help from Cymbalta and other organizations to no avail. I wish I could offer supportive information but the truth is that if you are of regular age you will wait over two years for disability hearing, over a year for housing application to be reviewed, and doctors not stepping up and helping. So, to you closed brain injury people good luck.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female Published: October 07

Four days ago, I was kneeling on the ground working underneath a steel table. When I attempted to get up, I miscalculated and hit my head hard on the edge of the table, seeing stars before my eyes. It took my breath away and I just sat there for a while before attempting to get up. Immediately had a knot on my head. I still have some pain on the left base of the head and upper part of the neck. I have hit my head before, but never this hard.

Must Read Articles Related to Head Injury

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets Wearing a helmet while bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, or skiing can prevent severe head trauma and disabilities. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of a s...learn more >>
Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Tests

What tests were performed for your head injury?

Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?