Viewer Comments: Head Injury - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: TxLillie39, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I slipped down a concrete steps that had four steps. It was wet from the rain. My bottem landed on the last step at the bottem and my back hit the second step from the top. My head went back due to the pain. My daughter who is 12 keppt telling me I was ok..moreless asking me. She said I closed my eyes started shaking (whole) body and I went to the right like I was falling over and hit my head on her knee and landed on the ground like I fell over hit my head on the ground and was stilling shaking but, I black-out. Woke up like I had just woke up from a deep sleep laying on the wet ground. Went to the hospital and the diagnosed me with a head injury and a strain on my back.

Comment from: paula, Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was struck on the right temperal side of my face with a very heavy glass and I have had severe headaches and stay dizzy and confused all the time I have short term memory loss and I am undergoing tests to see the severity of the injury.

Comment from: richierich504, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

In 2000, I was struck by a falling tree about eight to ten inches around. I was wearing a hard hat at the time and went through every kind of x ray, CT, MRI. I started having headaches and as a rule, those headaches that were daily, often went to migraines. I have been through the narcotic dance and of course, with that much pain, eventually got physically dependent on medication. I now have my dependence under control and really, have controlled the headaches with doctor prescribed methadone in the amount of 30 MG a day! Mostly this keeps me under control. I haven't had a headache since I got regulated on the methadone. I was recently forced into early retirement from a 21 year job as a Parole/Probation Officer. My question is, I believe that the blow to my head made some changes in my personality. I was a cop for ten years before going into Probation and Parole as an officer. I was a steady church going family man for the most part. I wasn't perfect by any means, but since the blow to my head I have had problems with narcotics, alcohol, (lightly a problem), gambling and overeating. I have gained a hundred pounds since I got hurt and nearly lost my home and everything near and dear to me with gambling addiction. I was fifty years old at the time of my trauma and I am currently 59. I am really wondering if the blow to the head could have been responsibly for the changes in my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Head Injury

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets Wearing a helmet while bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, or skiing can prevent severe head trauma and disabilities. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of a s...learn more >>
Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?

Head Injury - Tests

What tests were performed for your head injury?