Viewer Comments: Head Injury - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was helping my husband place a ladder so that he could get some of the ice and snow off the roof. An icicle hit the back of my head as I was leaning over. It hurt. I feel nauseas still. This occurred about 2 hours ago.

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I was hit with an axe to the side of the head fracturing my temporal bone. I awoke with a priest throwing water on me. I have vertigo, epilepsy, headaches, facial paralysis, hearing loss, ringing of the ears, and posttraumatic stress disorder. It happened in 1989 and I still have dreams of someone trying to kill me but have no memory of the event nor do I know who did it.

Comment from: Kevin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I was doing an incline bench press at the gym yesterday morning (I was holding my breath during the lift.) On the last rep, as I was at the peak of exertion, I felt a sharp pain on the side of my head, and a throbbing headache ensued. I thought it might be temporary so I tried to do decline press. After doing a few reps my head pounded even harder and I even think I tasted\smelled blood. (But it may have been the metallic smell on my hands from the bar.) I stopped lifting and for the rest of the day had a pretty bad throbbing headache. Thought it would go away at night, and it did go down some, but sleeping in different positions made the pressure worse in some spots. Woke up this morning and have slight pressure on both sides of head and upper neck seems very stiff. Called my doctor and am waiting for reply on if I should go see her, go to urgent care or other.

Comment from: JohnM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I fell asleep while driving and ended out spinning around and landing in the median. I can't remember the first maybe 5 minutes after this happened. I didn't think I had hit my head, so when EMS (emergency medical technicians) arrived, I told them I was ok. Once I received the crash report, I was shocked at what they said about the first few minutes because I don't remember any of that. I remember everything following this in detail. I wonder if I could have had a concussion and not known it.

Comment from: Tara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I fell backwards on the ice while trying to skate and I did not have a helmet on. I hit the back of my head very hard and felt I had broken my skull. The doctor checked for serious concussion signs and I was okay. She said I probably have a mild concussion. My symptoms were headache, dizziness, and the sense of tiny beads shaking in my brain. It has been one month now and I am slowly feeling better.

Comment from: Noelle1212, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was working a Mardi Gras ball (for some of you that may not know what that is, it's basically a huge parade and they have balls afterward). I got hit in the head with a huge pack of beads. I didn't lose consciousness but I became really dizzy. I didn't really understand what just happened. My friends made me go to first aid where they told me I could have a concussion and wanted me to wait for the doctor. My symptoms just became worse and I could hardly see anymore. Everything made my head hurt. I was really nauseous and my throat was tight. It felt like I couldn't breathe. The doctor finally came and said I needed to be transported to the emergency room. I felt really tired and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Apparently this is an indication of something big because I had no alcohol in my body. They did a CT scan and it came up where I had bleeding on the left side of my brain, which was weird because I got hit in the middle. I had to stay for observation and they did another CT scan a day later. It came out the same so the doctor sent me home. There is not a minute that goes by that I do not have a headache. I am still awaiting my follow-up.

Comment from: acedaissie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was hit in the head with a steel chisel while working. It bounced back and hit me square in the head about an inch over my right eye. It swelled instantly to the size of a marble. I did not black out, but was dazed. After icing it, the swelling reduced. I felt fine, but sore. It has been 8 days and now I'm having severe headaches during activities ONLY, with ear aches, sore throat and pressure inside the roof of my eye socket. I went to the hospital last night and a CT scan was done, but I was told it was just a contusion. Today my symptoms have gotten worse. I'm thinking the hospital might has misdiagnosed me because I'm still in a lot pain, and I'm wondering how much worse this is going to get.

Must Read Articles Related to Head Injury

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets Wearing a helmet while bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, or skiing can prevent severe head trauma and disabilities. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of a s...learn more >>
Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms

What are your experience with delays symptoms of brain injury?

Head Injury - Tests

What tests were performed for your head injury?