Viewer Comments: Head Injury - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Kevin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I was doing an incline bench press at the gym yesterday morning (I was holding my breath during the lift.) On the last rep, as I was at the peak of exertion, I felt a sharp pain on the side of my head, and a throbbing headache ensued. I thought it might be temporary so I tried to do decline press. After doing a few reps my head pounded even harder and I even think I tasted\smelled blood. (But it may have been the metallic smell on my hands from the bar.) I stopped lifting and for the rest of the day had a pretty bad throbbing headache. Thought it would go away at night, and it did go down some, but sleeping in different positions made the pressure worse in some spots. Woke up this morning and have slight pressure on both sides of head and upper neck seems very stiff. Called my doctor and am waiting for reply on if I should go see her, go to urgent care or other.

Comment from: Tara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I fell backwards on the ice while trying to skate and I did not have a helmet on. I hit the back of my head very hard and felt I had broken my skull. The doctor checked for serious concussion signs and I was okay. She said I probably have a mild concussion. My symptoms were headache, dizziness, and the sense of tiny beads shaking in my brain. It has been one month now and I am slowly feeling better.

Comment from: Noelle1212, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was working a Mardi Gras ball (for some of you that may not know what that is, it's basically a huge parade and they have balls afterward). I got hit in the head with a huge pack of beads. I didn't lose consciousness but I became really dizzy. I didn't really understand what just happened. My friends made me go to first aid where they told me I could have a concussion and wanted me to wait for the doctor. My symptoms just became worse and I could hardly see anymore. Everything made my head hurt. I was really nauseous and my throat was tight. It felt like I couldn't breathe. The doctor finally came and said I needed to be transported to the emergency room. I felt really tired and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Apparently this is an indication of something big because I had no alcohol in my body. They did a CT scan and it came up where I had bleeding on the left side of my brain, which was weird because I got hit in the middle. I had to stay for observation and they did another CT scan a day later. It came out the same so the doctor sent me home. There is not a minute that goes by that I do not have a headache. I am still awaiting my follow-up.

Comment from: acedaissie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was hit in the head with a steel chisel while working. It bounced back and hit me square in the head about an inch over my right eye. It swelled instantly to the size of a marble. I did not black out, but was dazed. After icing it, the swelling reduced. I felt fine, but sore. It has been 8 days and now I'm having severe headaches during activities ONLY, with ear aches, sore throat and pressure inside the roof of my eye socket. I went to the hospital last night and a CT scan was done, but I was told it was just a contusion. Today my symptoms have gotten worse. I'm thinking the hospital might has misdiagnosed me because I'm still in a lot pain, and I'm wondering how much worse this is going to get.

Comment from: timca, 25-34 Male Published: September 11

I suffered from a major head injury. I am a man from Great Britain and this is my story of what happened to me that changed my life. It all started on January the forth, I was a student studying film production at university. I had a part time job which I was working on new years eve, so I didn't get the chance to go out, celebrate and party like all my university friends were doing so we rescheduled for the forth of January. As the weather was cold (January usually is in Britain!) and very icy. I was unfortunate that night and slipped over on the ice and banged my head. At first I was alright but after a short while my friends started noticing I wasn't making any sense in what I was talking about and acting peculiar so they phoned me for an ambulance (this I have no recollection of). I was then taken to hospital and they said I had suffered from a blood clot (subdural hematoma) due to the accident. I was then induced into a controlled coma which I remained in for the next four months. I recovered fairly well due to circumstances and I was then transferred to a specialist head injury care home. This is where I started realizing what had happened to me, my memory was terrible, I was in a wheelchair, I couldn't walk, I couldn't speak properly and had many other neurologic problems. I was in the care home for about another eight-nine months before I was discharged. In this nine months I relearned practically everything again, to walk, to speak, to interact in conversation, loads of occupational therapy. I now live my life to the full, and I am so happy that I managed to live through such a traumatic experience. I hope this has been of some use to you and thanks for reading.

Must Read Articles Related to Head Injury

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets
Bicycle and Motorcycle Helmets Wearing a helmet while bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, or skiing can prevent severe head trauma and disabilities. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of a s...learn more >>
Bicycle Safety
Bicycle Safety Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise, and sport. With more than 100 million bicycle o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Head Injury (Brain Injury):

Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?

Head Injury - Tests

What tests were performed for your head injury?