Viewer Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Heart Attack:

Heart attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heart attack?

Comment from: Midnight666, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had my heart attack at 47, 11 days before I turned 48. I was cutting the grass and went in to get a glass of water and sat down to talk to my grandson. I have always overheated easily and went to sit in front of a fan to cool off. I felt a little nausea (normal for me when overheated), but never was sick though. No pain at all. Only clue to problem was my hands curled in and would not uncurl. I had my grandson call 911. Ambulance crew said I was in full STEMI (ST elevation myocardial infarction). I was flown directly to a cardiac hospital and into catheter lab. Three minutes after hitting the table, I coded 4 times. Stents were placed while I was being shocked. I am glad to be alive. My husband was going through stage 4 prostate cancer that had spread to the bones and was in no shape to care for himself. I was his caregiver. The next day I was released and still here. Thanks to the doctors and the ambulance crew for the quick recognition of my signs. I did find out that I had had 3 heart attacks in my 20s as well; old scarring on the heart. Lucky to be alive. Sad to say my husband passed away this May, but thankful that I was here to take care of him and love him for that extra time.

I am a 58-year-old female who had a heart attack three weeks ago. The symptoms had been there for about a month: brief periods of a burning pain in my chest, and pain in my jaw, face, shoulder, back and arm, all on the right side. I awoke in the night with the pain and this time it wouldn't ease up. I took aspirins and started vomiting. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I was having a heart attack. Three stents were placed in my heart. I've been home for almost three weeks and doing a total lifestyle change. I am not overweight and I have low blood pressure, and the pain was on my right side instead of the left. It's best to get all pain diagnosed instead of waiting like I did. A heart attack can hit women in many different ways.

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had heart attack in September of 2016 and while I seem to be doing better I am having sore stiff neck pain and I don't know if there is any relation to my heart failure. I am starting to have arthritis in my fingers and now I am having awful neck pain. I'm not sure what is going on.

Comment from: mrogerson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was a 32 year old female who worked in the hospital. I had worked all day and had 1 more hour left of my shift. I went out to smoke as I always did. When I came back in, I was walking down the hall and I suddenly felt like I was getting the flu. All the joints in my upper body ached on both sides. I sat down for a bit. Someone was talking to me and I felt like I was fading away. I had to get up and move. I felt very agitated and couldn't sit still. Then the sweating came. In seconds, I was drenched. I told my coworkers that I didn't feel right and I was going to the ER. I thought it might be my blood sugar. The ER doc immediately pushed the chair I was in to the bed because he said something didn't look right. They did EKG and it was normal. About 10 mins. later I had a pain in the center of my chest. Did another EKG and said I was having a heart attack. They gave me Retavase and had me airlifted to the bigger hospital. I had a heart cath and 2 stents placed. 2 days later, I had another heart attack, another cath, and 2 more stents. Needless to say, I had major life changes. Quit smoking and try to live a healthy life. At 32 who would have thought. But it has been a year and I'm still here.

Comment from: surviver, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was making myself a coffee, when all of a sudden I became light headed. I couldn't breathe. My legs were weak. I found my bed and for a short while I blacked out. Thanks to my dog, who continued to lick me on the face, keep me conscious that I managed to dial 911. I had no previous warning at all. It crept up on me. I had another heart attack 10 days later.

Comment from: Stan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Sixteen years ago I awoke about 2:00 A.M. with a tickle in my throat...I thought it was the onset of a sore throat. I gargled with some hot salt water and went back to bed. It was my day off and I just sat around and watched television. When my wife returned from work, she said that I didn't look well and took me to the emergency room. There was never any pain anywhere. There was a 90 percent blockage of one artery. Angioplasty was scheduled and that was when they discovered a one-half inch section of blocked artery. They removed it and placed two stents.

Comment from: JOEY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

When I was 57, I started freezing and I could not warm up. Then about 15 minutes later, I was sweating profusely. I had no pain or any other symptoms. I was lucky. I beat the widow maker.

Must Read Articles Related to Heart Attack

Angina
Angina Pectoris

Angina pectoris is a term to describe ...learn more >>

Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are used when a person has had a learn more >>
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation is a procedure a person can use to assist a person who is in learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Heart Attack:

Heart Attack - Treatment

What treatment did you undergo after your heart attack?

Heart Attack - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a heart attack?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow