Viewer Comments: Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Heat Rash:

Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I get heat rash under my watch whether I'm wearing it or not. I also get it around my bra line, on my sides, stomach, and under my waste. It's also common for me to see it on my hands. I break out in hives, and in severe cases, the hives look like welts or blisters. I just take Benadryl for it, and it usually takes the itching away. Once I do that, I try to get out of the heat, and it goes the rest of the way on its own. Although, I got the most severe case I've ever had while at the gym this morning. The prickly sensations almost had me in tears.

Comment from: Niki, 35-44 Female Published: August 27

I recently took a trip to Malaysia. It was hot and humid. Even though I was in air conditioning for most of the trip, I developed a skin rash around the outside of my arm pits and on the front side of both of my thighs. I thought it was something quite serious as I had never experienced this before, but my doctor told me it was a skin heat rash. It's been three days since I detected it, and it feels itchy and hot to the touch.

Comment from: PolynesianHunk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I just returned to the US after living one year in Bataan Philippines. While there I developed tiny red bumps on my arms and legs only. The parts continuously exposed to the sun. At first it seemed very minor, yet irritating. It almost fells like having fiberglass insulation all over me. Anyone who has done any construction knows that's miserable. I hadn't been anywhere near any construction and just assumed it would go away on its own. Now that I'm back, after 7 weeks of this so far beginning to wonder if it's not a bacterial skin infection. The bumps have moved to my back and chest now and for a week I have been taking antihistamine and almost bathing in Calamine lotion. It subsides when in the AC but just as soon as sunlight hits even my clothes it immediately feels like tiny needles sticking in my skin from head to toe. I have changed detergents, washed all my clothes, and still no change. I'm dark skinned male of Polynesian decent and have spent most of my life in the sun without incident, not even a sunburn. Ever! It seems maybe if this isn't a skin infection that it's true that our ozone layer is truly being destroyed and that the sun may soon change everything we take for granted everyday like just going outside. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Related Reading: Calamine

Comment from: DLC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I only get a heat rash on my arms, and it is unbearable. It starts in June and usually I have it until October. It is worse at night and is not just itchy but feels as if I am being jabbed at the same time with a pin. Hydro-cortisone, lanacaine, bactine, benadryl, ice compresses all work marginally but nothing completely stops the itching.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: Katelyn E., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

During my last week of school, which was about a week and a half ago, I noticed bumps on both my shoulders. I checked my body to see if they were anywhere else, but they were only on the tops of both of my shoulders! They sometimes burned, but they never really itched, so I wasn't very worried about them being insect bites or anything serious. I figured that they were just goose bumps or something else of that nature. As the week went on, I realized that the mysterious bumps hadn't gone away at all. after about a week of having them, I finally showed my mother, not knowing what else to do, and she said it was heat rash. A few more days passed and now here I am. I googled heat rash and found this site. I'm beginning to question what the bumps really are, given that they haven't gone away after all this time. They look like red, raised bumps that burn to the touch. I still don't think they're insect bites because I'm never outside very much at all.

Comment from: bmcbridehvac, 25-34 Female Published: June 19

I just recently got another case of heat rash while on vacation in Phoenix. My mom told me to coat it with diaper rash ointment. It really works. The swelling and pain is much better and it is starting to heal up after 1 day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

My heat rash appeared after I returned from my trip to Hawaii. My arms and neck broke out in red blotches and it is very itchy.

Must Read Articles Related to Heat Rash

Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in Children Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Heat Rash:

Heat Rash - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your heat rash?