Viewer Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Tests and Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori):

Helicobacter Pylori - Tests and Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established?

I had black, tarry stools and stomach pains. The doctor examined me and then ordered several blood tests and all but one was clear, and that was for helicobacter pylori.

Comment from: Lennynyl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

Found through a CT scan that showed thickening of the stomach wall. The biopsy determined H. pylori.

Comment from: arkansas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been hurting for several months and being bloated. I had a ultrasound and my gallbladder was full of stones .I had that taken out in February and I felt better for a little while. Then it came back more severe. I went to the ER and they said it was acid. I got another appointment with the doctor and she said it sounds like reflux. She drew blood and it tested positive for h. pylori.

Comment from: gert777, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

My helicobacter pylori was diagnosed by endoscopy after pain bloating and fatique.

Comment from: Wolfy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 25

The first of March 2012 I had stomach, intestines, kidney & pelvic pain. It felt like my insides were totally irritated. I took Zantac to indigestion which worked temporarily for about three weeks. During that time I felt like I was going to have diarrhea often. I went to the Urgent care and they did a blood test and called me three days later and said I tested positive for H. pylori. They prescribed Prevacid for 10 days and an antibiotic called clarithromycin, 500 mg.

Comment from: patient X, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My h. Pylori was diagnosed through a biopsy performed during an endoscopy to determine the severity of GERD -- polyps were removed from my stomach and tested negative for malignancy but the pylori was indicated in several "brown" areas in the lining of my stomach. The GERD was not considered serious but that was three years ago and now I am scheduled for a barium swallow because of constant choking and coughing -- my PCP believes coughing is caused by GERD although I have never actually had typical heartburn! I took the Prev-Pak for 14 days and was fine for the first 11 of them -- then the Rx really caught up with me as it killed off all GOOD bacteras as well as bad!

Comment from: llkmiller, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My 16 month-old grand daughter was diagnosed with H-pylori after going to the emergency room with an on-going fever of 101 and a rash on her limbs that were similar to chicken pox except they were not on the torso. She has always been very fussy and never slept through the night, when we raised concern with the pediatricians (we went to three) none of them were too concerned and said she was just a fussy baby. There were traces of blood in her vomit for about 3 weeks prior to the emergency visit, that the pediatrician said was from throat irritation. It was not, she was admitted to the ICU with platelet count of 15 and immediately put on IV antibiotics, the following day without improvement, she was diagnosed with ITP, given a transfusion and tested for H-pylori which returned positive. She just completed the antibiotics and will continue to be monitored weekly.

Comment from: lg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had been suffering from the burning-acidity feeling for sometime, but thought it was heartburn. I took heartburn medication but to no avail. This went on for a couple of years. Last October I went in for a general female check up and my doctor ordered blood work. This was in the morning. By 4:00 p.m. I got a call from her telling me I had to go to the emergency right away because my blood count was down to 5. Apparently a female carries anywhere from 12 - 15 units of blood and I had 5 and could collapse at any minute. I was questioned about feeling tired and fatigue - which I did not. I go to the gym, exercise, lift weights, etc and am very active. I work part time. By the way I'm 65 years old. I checked in the emergency and they admitted me to the hospital and was put on I.V. and given 2 units of blood. They found I was anemic and then had to determine where I was losing all this blood. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and that where they diagnosed me with h.pylori. I'm trying to deal with it without medication, if I can - trying supplements and herbs. .

Must Read Articles Related to Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori)

Dysphagia
Dysphagia (Swallowing Problems) Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) has many causes. Dysphagia can be caused by diseases of the brain, diseases or conditions that affect muscle function, disease...learn more >>
Gastritis
Gastritis Gastritis is an irritation or inflammation of the lining of the stomach caused by a variety of things such as medications, supplements, medical and surgical con...learn more >>
Indigestion
Indigestion Indigestion (dyspepsia, non-acid dyspepsia) is a description for a feeling of fullness and/or discomfort in the upper abdomen. Symptoms of indigestion can inclu...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori):

Helicobacter Pylori - Treatment

What was the treatment for you Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)?

Helicobacter Pylori - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your helicobacter pylori?