- Blood vessels are routinely injured and may leak blood causing hematomas or
- Depending upon their size and location, hematomas may be insignificant or
may cause life-threatening damage.
- People who take blood thinners like warfarin (Coumadin) and clopidogrel
(Plavix) are at higher risk of bleeding from minor injuries.
- Most hematomas resolve by themselves and need no further treatment, but
some may require surgical treatment.
- Injuries to the head should be taken seriously because of the risk of
bleeding causing injuries like epidural, subdural and intracerebral hemorrhage.
Must Read Articles Related to Hematoma
Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hematoma: