Viewer Comments: Hematoma - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hematoma:

Hematoma - Causes

What caused your hematoma?

Comment from: pn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading story about another person whose hematoma was caused by deployed airbags I wanted to share my story because similar situation happened to me. However I wasn't involved in a car accident, somehow something triggered my airbags on left, driver and steering wheel, to just suddenly explode, and deployed while I was stopped at a red light. Still trying to figure out what happened but the airbags hit me so hard and off especially the left side. It burned the backside of left arm and bruised my left side, impact was so hard it bruised my left lung causing a quarter size hematoma. All I can say was it hurt really bad and made it hard to breathe. The area was tender, painful to even touch. I had to get it surgically removed. Or risk it dislodging and end up with embolism or death itself. Hematoma is life threatening if left untreated.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I fell out of bed and slammed my face into the corner of the night stand. CAT scans showed no fractures, but it has been over a month and although the hematoma is smaller, it gets larger and harder as the day goes on. I wonder if this means there is still an active bleed.

Comment from: MM, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

After a fall and having a fracture in the hip bone, surgery was required to put in a rod and screw. This required three small incisions. A large hematoma over the middle incision developed. It has been 6 weeks since surgery and the incisions have healed but I still have the hematoma. While at one rehab hospital, they put ice on the area to help it feel better.

Comment from: mercig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was involved in a car accident. The air bags deployed, and as a result I was hit hard in the chest. I ended up having a golf ball-size hematoma appear on my right breast. It feels hard and is somewhat tender to the touch.

Must Read Articles Related to Hematoma

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hematoma:

Hematoma - Treatment

Did you need treatment for your hematoma?

Hematoma - Types

What type of hematoma did you have?

Hematoma - Self-Care

Did you use self-care to treat a minor hematoma?

Hematoma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your brain hematoma?

Hematoma - Medical Care

How did you know it was time to seek care for your hematoma?

Hematoma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hematoma?

Hematoma - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hematoma?

Hematoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with hematoma.