Viewer Comments: Hemoglobin - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about HbA1c Test (Hemoglobin A1c ):

Hemoglobin - Treatment

Please describe how monitoring your hemoglobin levels has helped with the treatment of your condition.

Comment from: JanetM757, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm a 61 year old female who recently requested blood tests normally given to diagnose possible causes for sudden, profuse hair loss. In doing so, I saw my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all low. With low total protein and globulin, but high carbon dioxide. If hemoglobin is low I guess that explains the low total protein, but high carbon dioxide since it is the carrier, one way or the other for both. I was surprised my doctor told me I don't need any further concern over my blood work and not to worry. I assume I'm anemic, I am cold all the time (in South Florida, love my ice in water, sleep 12 hours, wake up and want to sleep more (good thing I'm retired). I had surgery 6 months ago for a twisted colon, and from that I got a hernia. I wonder if somehow that caused anemia, and wish I knew what is causing this anemia if I knew, I could hopefully stop my hair falling out. Not only is it falling out, but it's terribly dry with breakage, and has turned frizzy like cotton candy. Anemia just has to be the reason for my "poisoned" hair and my doctor seems disinterested in my blood test results.

Comment from: ENAMUL H., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am suffering from diabetes since 1987. Presently my HbA1c range is 9.5. Both my legs are swollen. I am regularly taking insulin and diabetic medicines, I have to lower my HbA1c level.

Must Read Articles Related to Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)

Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2) There are two types of diabetes, type 1 (insulin dependent), and type 2 (non-insulin dependent). learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about HbA1c Test (Hemoglobin A1c ):

HbA1C Test - High Levels

Are the test results for your HbA1c levels high? If so, what things have been helpful in lowering your HbA1c blood levels and are they working?

Hemoglobin Levels - Experience

Please describe your experience with hemoglobin levels.