Viewer Comments: Hemoglobin - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c):

Hemoglobin - Treatment

Please describe how monitoring your hemoglobin levels has helped with the treatment of your condition.

Comment from: JanetM757, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm a 61 year old female who recently requested blood tests normally given to diagnose possible causes for sudden, profuse hair loss. In doing so, I saw my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all low. With low total protein and globulin, but high carbon dioxide. If hemoglobin is low I guess that explains the low total protein, but high carbon dioxide since it is the carrier, one way or the other for both. I was surprised my doctor told me I don't need any further concern over my blood work and not to worry. I assume I'm anemic, I am cold all the time (in South Florida, love my ice in water, sleep 12 hours, wake up and want to sleep more (good thing I'm retired). I had surgery 6 months ago for a twisted colon, and from that I got a hernia. I wonder if somehow that caused anemia, and wish I knew what is causing this anemia if I knew, I could hopefully stop my hair falling out. Not only is it falling out, but it's terribly dry with breakage, and has turned frizzy like cotton candy. Anemia just has to be the reason for my "poisoned" hair and my doctor seems disinterested in my blood test results.

Must Read Articles Related to Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)

Diabetic Eye Disease
Diabetic Eye Disease Diabetic eye disease is a complication from diabetes. Types of diabetic eye disease include background diabetic retinopathy, nonproliferative diabetic retinopat...learn more >>
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic Foot Care Read about diabetic foot care. Causes of foot problems in people with diabetes include footwear, nerve damage, poor circulation, trauma, infections, and smoking...learn more >>
Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c):

Hemoglobin Levels - Experience

Please describe your experience with hemoglobin levels.