What is hemoglobin?
Hemoglobin (sometimes abbreviated as Hb) is complex protein found in red blood cells that contains an iron molecule. The main function of hemoglobin is to carry oxygen from the lungs to the body tissues, and to exchange the oxygen for carbon dioxide, and then carry the carbon dioxide back to the lungs and where it is exchanged for oxygen. The iron molecule in hemoglobin helps maintain the normal shape of red blood cells.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/12/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Hemoglobin Levels
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemoglobin (Levels):
Hemoglobin - Results
What were the results of your hemoglobin test and what condition did it ultimately help diagnose?
- How Is Atrial Fibrillation Affecting You?
- Will Health Reform Affect You?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu