Font Size

Hemophilia (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

  • Call your doctor after any significant physical trauma.
  • Call your doctor also if you cannot control external bleeding with simple pressure.
    • Because you may have internal as well external bleeding, always err on the side of safety and call your doctor.
    • Be particularly concerned about bleeding into your joints or your central nervous system because of long-term complications and the possibility of death.
  • Because hemophilia treatment involves blood products, you often may need to be treated in an emergency department or other health care facility, especially if you have severe hemophilia.
  • Your doctor should evaluate any head or spinal trauma.
  • A severe hemophiliac should be evaluated at a hospital's emergency department for any bleeding whatsoever, because his or her blood will not clot adequately on its own in these situations:
    • Oral bleeding
    • Bleeding from skin that does not stop with simple pressure
    • Bleeding from muscles and joints
  • Any person with hemophilia who has significant trauma anywhere on the body should be evaluated at a hospital regardless of the severity of the disease.
  • Talk with your doctor before undergoing any surgeries, invasive treatments, or invasive tests.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/28/2014
Medical Author:

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemophilia:

Hemophilia - Treatment

How did doctors treat your hemophilia?

Hemophilia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hemophilia?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Hemophilia »

Hemophilia A(HA), which comprises approximately 80% of cases,is considered the classic form of hemophilia, and hemophilia B (HB) is termed Christmas disease.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary