Self-Care at Home
Most often people with hemophilia require medical treatment if bleeding or an injury occurs. You can take the following simple actions at home.
- Avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatory agents such as ibuprofen (Advil) because they may further interfere with blood clotting.
- If you have blood in your urine, drink plenty of fluids to ensure hydration.
- Apply direct pressure to any site at which you are bleeding externally.
- Apply ice and put a splint on affected joints after bleeding to provide relief from symptoms.
- If you have the training on the disease process, you can give yourself factor replacement therapy. But you should do so under consultation from your doctor.