Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?

Comment from: mrbum, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

About a year ago I noticed some bright red blood on my toilet paper after the toilet. I put some cream on and thought that perhaps I had a small cut on my anus. Felt a bit like a paper cut. Slight pain went away. Year on and same thing happened, a few days ago. So being insured I thought Doc can have a look. Went in yesterday and doctor had a look and reported that I had internal Hemorrhoids, on a scale of 1 to 5 they were a 3. He gave me some internal cream with a special dispenser (doxiproct) to use for a week and some tablets to take for 3 weeks. We discussed worse case scenario and he said that if bleeding were to continue he would book me in and check my bowls for cancer using an endoscope. I have said well do it anyway as insurance is paying for it. So next wednesday I am having a a 1.5 m scope up my bum. Of the joy. I am lucky tough, my hemorrhoids do not hurt. Don't know what caused them. I go to gym every day for an hour, am fit and healthy, don't do anal sex. I suppose it's just Gods way of having a laugh.

Comment from: Helena84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had my hemorrhoids under control for many years. After I had my daughter two years ago, they got worse and finally my doctor advised me the THD method, which I had in January. It really helped me. I was surprised that it didn't hurt nearly as much as I'd expected. For me the biggest advantage of this method is that you can go home the same day! With a baby at home, it would have been very hard for me to stay in the hospital longer.

Comment from: Ruth K, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Please: don't assume it's hemorrhoids, mine turned out to be squamous cell anal cancer, stage 3, N-1. I was 63, a recent widow. I am now in remission but if Ms. Farrah Fawcett had not passed away when she did, and if my best friend had not read the newspaper listing her symptoms and bought this to my attention, and subsequently to my doctor's, I wouldn't be posting this. This is a rare cancer but masquerades as a hemorrhoid.

Comment from: peter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

From the age of 25 i have this thing call piles even now as i write this its swollen bleeding painful try many things know what to do.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

Am feeling a severe pain in my anus, I felt a swollen lump in an my anus. I've tried some antiseptic & an antibacterial tablet that relieve the pain but the pain came back this morning.

Comment from: In pain, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

I have had hemorrhoids for over 34 years now. I've always had problems with using the toilet. Three days ago I started to get the most pain I have ever had. I didn't want to say anything to the wife, so I kept it to myself. I think I need to see a doctor now as I can't use the toilet at all.

Comment from: Perchon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Bleeding, pain, and a swollen protuberance are all classic symptoms of hemorrhoids. Now, before you go under the knife check out Hemrid or products like Hemrid that are successful against hemorrhoids. Good luck.

Comment from: cjstudent54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Since earlier this month, it's the first time that I've seen a lot of blood. I believe I've had external hemorrhoids, but now I have internal. I've heard a little blood looks like a lot and mine is a bright red. I have an appointment at a stomach doctor in January. There's no pain, but my anxiety level over worrying about this has raised. This is from the use of long term pain medication from several back surgeries.

Comment from: Wesley, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

My hemorrhoids had itching followed by severe pains and blood, then itching again followed by pain. I did not know what to deal with. Pain does not respond to pain killers. Unable to sleep all night long for the past two weeks. I am using Viodor antiseptic cream, Tibb-Pilo tabs and some antibiotics. They are not helping much.

Comment from: k_carroll2010, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I got an external hemorrhoid when I was 17, I'm 20 now. I have never had any problems with it. It does not hurt. It will itch every now and then, but nothing serious. I want to get it removed because its just embarrassing but I don't know what the best thing would be. I don't think any type of cream would work considering the size. And I wouldn't mind having surgery, as long as its not too painful of a recovery. I cant miss much work. I'm very grateful that I don't have any pain from it. Its like its just a piece of dead skin on my anus.

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. This area ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.