Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

...
Comment from: Sheetal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been suffering with hemorrhoids for 12 years. I had them while delivering my baby. On and off I would have episodes where I would have to be in terrible pain for days, sometimes weeks. I tried everything on the web. Recently I found a natural cure. Eating 5 munakkas followed by a glass of water at night. And cleaning the area for about a minute with water after bowel movement. That's it. I am pain free. I wanted to share since I've been through the pain. Munakkas are big raisins with seeds inside.

Comment from: Bob, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I don't see anyone mentioning cortisone cream; as this is what the doctors prescribe. The prescription grade is 2%, but you can get 1% from the store for $4, hydrocortisone 10 + intensive healing formula. I use it once a day before work or sleep. It removes the itch, the pain… everything. It makes it perfectly painless to pass stools. I have been applying it directly to hemorrhoids for years and it allows me to perform manual labor in the hot sun. I also have a strict diet of high fiber, eggs, bread and water. I have also learned that ejaculation exacerbates the situation immensely. It is a major sacrifice, but abstinence, at least for me, helps 100%.

Comment from: Hurts2Poo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I'm 27 years old and am a fairly healthy guy. I've had hemorrhoids on and off for about seven years. I got my first thrombosed hemorrhoid this year. I got IRC (infrared coagulation) twice, and I still have problems. Doctors just say eat high fiber and drink lots of water, but it doesn't seem to help. I fast (go long periods without eating at all) as a result. Now, I fast fairly regularly and have lost 35 pounds in the last three months. Now I have "thrombosed hemorrhoid No. 2," and I'm just exhausted, both physically and mentally at the intense pain I feel every day. The few things that work for me are: --Over-the-counter Preparation H suppositories (usually too painful to insert though) --Lidocaine (seems to numb a little bit) --Not eating (gives the whole mess down there time to figure out what it wants to do and heal) I learned the hard way that sleeping pills and oxycontin are no good. Taking narcotics for pain is a terrible idea, and please don't do it. It will 100% cause constipation, which in turn will cause more pain, which sucks. So, in short, don't be afraid to fast, and don't take narcotics for the pain. It will hurt you so much more, and you will hate yourself for sabotaging yourself in the healing process.

Comment from: Hurts2Poo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Comment from: Mjb294eva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am a 47 year old female who had 4 kids in 6 years during ages 24 to 30. I started with hemorrhoids about 2 or 3 years ago. I have been to a doctor and they are no help. He told me they are not bad enough to do any kind of surgical procedure; except for the fact they interfere with every aspect of my life! I have to revolve my life around bowel movements and being able to take a sitz bath right after. That affects work, exercise, traveling and especially sex! I am at the end of my rope. The most frustrating aspect of this situation is there is no reason for me to have hemorrhoids besides them being inherited. I eat extremely healthy, have plenty of fiber in my diet, have had bowel movements like clockwork my whole life and never have to strain. I work out daily and am at an ideal weight for my age, height, etc. Over the counter medicines do not help at all. I have used a prescription cream for protection but that's it. Tucks might provide a few minutes of relief as well as hot baths. I'm ready to try anything!

Comment from: Fellow sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am a 35-year-old female and have had hemorrhoids since my third child. I have fourth-degree hemorrhoids. I have used Prep H, diaper cream, petroleum jelly, fiber diet, fasting, drinking water, narcotics, ibuprophen, Tylenol, hot baths, Witch Hazel or Tucks, you name it. I have had a hemorrhoidectomy and the lining of my rectum "tacked up," and I still have them. Nothing takes them away. There is nothing that makes them bearable. I lose up to a week of productivity every time I get them, which is about four times a year. There are some things that provide temporary relief (as in 15 minutes or less). The hot baths work every time. If you can find a way to stay in the hot (and I mean so hot you cannot put your toes in the water) baths the whole week, you're set! Narcotics, if accompanied with a strong dose of ibuprophen, seem to help get you functioning, but it can cause constipation, so only eat enough so that your stomach doesn't eat itself. Also, you must use some kind of lubricant or you will want to take your own life! Surgery is very painful afterward but worth it if it promises even the most remote chance of success.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?