Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

...
Comment from: cathy, 45-54 Female Published: May 11

I have had hemorrhoids for many years, especially after having kids. I have found a few things that have helped me and want to share. I am also going to try the zinc oxide someone recommended. I went to a doctor for a very bad internal hemorrhoid I had. I got it from having a very hard bowel movement. I was trying really hard to push the stool out, and all of a sudden it came out and tore me inside. I never had such pain. I tried so hard to get it to go away, tried everything. It was a nightmare just knowing I was going to have to have a bowel movement in the morning. So, like I said, I went to a doctor, and he accused me of having anal sex, threw a prescription at me and said if it doesn't go away will do surgery. I was so humiliated; I cried all the way home. So then went to an alternative doctor and he told me to take a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil before I eat. Drink lots of water, and also take flax seed oil tablets. I had those internal hemorrhoids for a year before going to the alternative doctor. It took a week, after I seen him that it started getting better. The oil helps the stool slide out easier. One other thing I do is use a hot rag. I keep getting it hotter and hotter on the hemorrhoid, and then I use tucks cream. That really helps. I don't know how much the tucks helps, but the hot compress really does. I am going to try the Desitin though. Does anyone know what else zinc oxide comes in?

Comment from: RrhoidHelper, Published: November 24

I have about two decades of experience with extreme bleeding because of prolapsed hemorrhoids. The anemia has been so bad, I once had a doctor laugh because my hematocrit (red blood cell) level was so low that he thought it was a ridiculous mistake. Over the past year, I have become fairly successful at fighting both the anemia and the hemorrhoids. To soften my stools, I eat two bananas and six dried apricots (high also in iron) every day regardless of my status. I also take one docusate sodium tablet and Metamucil twice a day, and senna once a day. In addition, I gradually increased my water intake from two quarts to my current four quarts. My body now thirsts if I have less than three quarts. To fight the anemia, I also take iron tablets twice a day as well as a lot of pumpkin seeds (check the bulk section of the grocery store). The fruit generally keeps the hemorrhoids at a minimum and the iron supplements generally maintain my red blood cells even when I have extremely bad hemorrhoids. When the above measures just don't get rid of the hemorrhoids, I go on a restricted diet, limited pretty much to oatmeal, beans and fruit/vegetables. I put lots of craisins or raisins in the oatmeal, and eat navy or pinto beans, which are both really high in iron. This limited diet takes one to two weeks to take effect.

Comment from: merrillpa, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

I reduced the swelling and symptoms by taking low dose colchicine an anti- inflammatory used by gout sufferers , try 0.5 mg per day ,check for drug interactions before using.This drug is by prescription only in some countries.

Comment from: Jo b, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

A safe and easy way to get non-messy relief from external hemorrhoids is to gently clean by dabbing it with wet paper towel or baby wipe. Then get a medium-sized cotton ball, and with some pressure, try to force the vessel back into the anus and let the cotton ball stay at the base of the opening for a short time. This will prevent the vessel from falling back out and getting squeezed by the sphincter, which is the cause of the pain. I do this and it works right away. Next time you have a movement, the cotton ball will flush easily and you won't have to touch it. Repeat the procedure whenever you feel the bulge and pain. This is inexpensive, easy, almost painless, and not embarrassing.

Comment from: TaxFossilFuels, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

Fit male with healthy diet including plenty of fiber, internal hemorrhoids developed over 10 years to the point where they often bled and had to be pushed back in. Once, they bled through my pants onto my chair at work. 3 weeks ago, banded a big one, it seemed to stimulate more frequent bowel movements, it was sore for almost 2 weeks, and it took 9 days for it to fall off. At 2 weeks got the smallest one banded, which was much more painful as I was still sore from the first one, but I was much less sore than with the first, the band fell off after only a few days, and after only a week I'm not feeling sore at all.

Comment from: Freeatlast!, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am 38 YO white male and have SUFFERED from internal hemorrhoids and external anal fishers for about 3 years. They would burn and itch, especially at night. I could not sleep without taking hot bath (even 2-3 time per night near the end) and long trips in car were out of the question. I could not work comfortably or exercise. I tried everything that is available in the US and a few products from China and from the Middle East. Lidocane (5%) ointment I purchased from amazon helped me a lot. I got the most relief from the product I picked up in Beirut Lebanon. It was called Procto Synalar manufactured by Grunenthal. On the box it labeled as a mixture of Lidocane and Flucinoloni acetonidium, which is probably a steroid. It was miles and away better than the Hydrocortisone suppositories I got in the US. Once the hemorrhoids reach a certain stage there is little else you can do but get the surgery. I finally relented and got the banding surgery. It was $769. Insurance usually covers 50-80%. I prepped for the surgery by making sure I was "cleaned out" by taking Metamucil and making sure I drank a lot of water to ensure soft stool before the bands are in place. I also took Tylenol before and after the procedure. Avoid Ibuprofen since there could be bleeding from the operation. The actual procedure takes about 2 minutes. They insert a metal cylinder to hold the anal cavity open then band the hemorrhoid. I had three. They won't do more than 2 at once because of the discomfort so I had to return 3 weeks later to do the last one. There is a lot of discomfort and moderate pain for the first day. BUT THE BURNING AND ITCHING WAS GONE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. It feels like you have to go to the bathroom really badly. Try and resist this feeling as much as you can. Take a warm bath as soon as you get home as this helps relax the anal muscles. Try and find something to do to keep your mind off the pain for the first few hours. I played my guitar. The pain gets much less by the second day and by day four I felt fairly normal. Bowel movements can be a little tough so make sure to keep drinking water and taking stool softeners. It was worth all the discomfort to be free of these horrible things. And the discomfort was not as bad as the pain from the hemorrhoids themselves.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. This area ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.