Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: Geraldine Guttierez, Female Published: June 10

I have read in an article that the warm water soaking treatment is best for thrombosed external hemorrhoids, this is because it can lessen the pain and the itchy feeling it brings to the person.

Comment from: b.greeney, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I've had hemorrhoids for a few year snow. Since natural home remedies haven't really helped me in the long run (the itching got less but the hemorrhoids didn't shrink), my doctor now recommended a new type of surgery called Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialization (THD). It's an outpatient surgery where the blood supplying arteries of the hemorrhoid are ligated. He said I should be able to get back to work within a day or 2 and that it has less complications and less post-operative pain than other types of surgery, so I think I'll give it a go and will let you know!

Comment from: baruchi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I'm a fit 55-year-old male in excellent health. Last year I began feeling a regular soreness (kind of a pinched feeling) in my anal area, which I presumed to be a hemorrhoid resulting from one or more strained bowel movements. No visible sign of anything. No blood. No pain. Months later I changed specialists, and the second doctor confirmed I had one sizable hemorrhoid. He suggested a rubber-band ligation, and I went for it on the spot. It's a fast procedure -- about $240 out of pocket (after insurance) for the office visit and procedure. Two weeks of elevated soreness, but then BACK TO NORMAL. (Well, let's put it this way, I still occasionally feel a little "off" down there, but nothing like the consistent discomfort prior to the ligation.) I strongly recommend this procedure, if your doctor concurs of course. Don't waste a lot of time, as I did, with topical treatments. There is nothing wrong with trying them, but, if your doctor gives you the option of the ligation, give it serious consideration.

Comment from: Ron, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have suffered with hemorrhoid off and on for a while, and I got relief with a supplement called Hem-eez. It worked within days for my thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Comment from: Laughter is key, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I'm 58 female and have had this condition off and on since 19 with childbirth. I have always able to keep them at bay until they decided to take control. I had internal and external and went to the doctor to be told he couldn't help me - how about surgery and how's tomorrow looking? They were so swollen that I had no choice. I found no pain with the surgery; however, the pain is later when trying to get back to normal. The doctor will tell you to return to normal activities after 2 weeks. It will take 6 weeks. Mineral oil, stool softeners, fiber, drinking lots of water, and take lots of hot Epsom salt baths. All of this will make you feel completely better. I had to have a second surgery due to muscle tightness causing tears. Again, they say 1 week; I say 2 weeks. This time was much easier. Maybe the 3rd week I'll shake the doctor's hand and say, “Thank you! Have I paid for you home yet?” Good luck to all! And I hope this helps!

Comment from: maryk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 65 year old female, and have had rectal hemorrhoids for 40 years resulting from two childbirth deliveries. I use Preparation H daily and take a warm/hot bath daily. The only time they get engorged is when we are on the road traveling in our RV. For those times I take a large pan along to improvise a sitz bath! I was hoping to have the hemorrhoids removed, but learned from my doctor that surgery is no longer the treatment of choice.

Comment from: Manager Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 53 year old male and have had both internal/external hemorrhoids for over 20 years. Had externals ones, clots removed. I've used lidocaine and witch hazel, which seems to help a bit. I had stage 4 internal prolapse that required a hemorrhoidectomy. It was extremely painful, but it worked. Unfortunately the surgeon removed the internal ones from the right side, but not the left. Now I have them again. I want to try laser treatment… I've tried virtually everything.

Comment from: Nessa, 45-54 Female Published: November 17

I'm 53 and have suffered off and on with hemorrhoids since junior high. From time to time I have to go to the doctor for treatment. At home, most of the products don't seem to bring much relief anymore. My daughter told me about using Vicks VapoRub and it really helped the pain. I have a blood clot though, and it is really being stubborn this time so maybe after Thanksgiving I will let the doctor remove it. In the meantime the sitz baths, donut seat, fiber laden cereal and stool softeners help. But I find that it is hard to get things straight with numerous bowel movements. Right now I'm trying crushed Tylenol Extra strength that I made into a paste and applied with a cotton swab to the problem. It seems to be helping.

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. This area ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.