Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

...
Comment from: Bob, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I don't see anyone mentioning cortisone cream; as this is what the doctors prescribe. The prescription grade is 2%, but you can get 1% from the store for $4, hydrocortisone 10 + intensive healing formula. I use it once a day before work or sleep. It removes the itch, the pain… everything. It makes it perfectly painless to pass stools. I have been applying it directly to hemorrhoids for years and it allows me to perform manual labor in the hot sun. I also have a strict diet of high fiber, eggs, bread and water. I have also learned that ejaculation exacerbates the situation immensely. It is a major sacrifice, but abstinence, at least for me, helps 100%.

Comment from: Hurts2Poo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I'm 27 years old and am a fairly healthy guy. I've had hemorrhoids on and off for about seven years. I got my first thrombosed hemorrhoid this year. I got IRC (infrared coagulation) twice, and I still have problems. Doctors just say eat high fiber and drink lots of water, but it doesn't seem to help. I fast (go long periods without eating at all) as a result. Now, I fast fairly regularly and have lost 35 pounds in the last three months. Now I have "thrombosed hemorrhoid No. 2," and I'm just exhausted, both physically and mentally at the intense pain I feel every day. The few things that work for me are: --Over-the-counter Preparation H suppositories (usually too painful to insert though) --Lidocaine (seems to numb a little bit) --Not eating (gives the whole mess down there time to figure out what it wants to do and heal) I learned the hard way that sleeping pills and oxycontin are no good. Taking narcotics for pain is a terrible idea, and please don't do it. It will 100% cause constipation, which in turn will cause more pain, which sucks. So, in short, don't be afraid to fast, and don't take narcotics for the pain. It will hurt you so much more, and you will hate yourself for sabotaging yourself in the healing process.

Comment from: Hurts2Poo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Comment from: Fellow sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am a 35-year-old female and have had hemorrhoids since my third child. I have fourth-degree hemorrhoids. I have used Prep H, diaper cream, petroleum jelly, fiber diet, fasting, drinking water, narcotics, ibuprophen, Tylenol, hot baths, Witch Hazel or Tucks, you name it. I have had a hemorrhoidectomy and the lining of my rectum "tacked up," and I still have them. Nothing takes them away. There is nothing that makes them bearable. I lose up to a week of productivity every time I get them, which is about four times a year. There are some things that provide temporary relief (as in 15 minutes or less). The hot baths work every time. If you can find a way to stay in the hot (and I mean so hot you cannot put your toes in the water) baths the whole week, you're set! Narcotics, if accompanied with a strong dose of ibuprophen, seem to help get you functioning, but it can cause constipation, so only eat enough so that your stomach doesn't eat itself. Also, you must use some kind of lubricant or you will want to take your own life! Surgery is very painful afterward but worth it if it promises even the most remote chance of success.

Comment from: CCFLA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Go buy Desitin or the store brand containing 40% zinc oxide! Last night, I used some, and although the hemorrhoids are not gone, they are reduced significantly. I slept through the night for the first time in a long time. I also had the first normal bowel movement in a long time this morning. Woo hoo -- no bleedint! I was just about at the end of my rope. My doctor said surgery was necessary, but I am in a huge initiative at work and cannot take time off now. Surgery may still be necessary, but at the very least I feel the zinc oxide will get me through the summer. Yes, it is a bit of a mess, but no more than the other creams. I put the cream on a cotton swab and inserted it that way. It is a little cumbersome but well worth the effort.

Comment from: CCFLA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. This area ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.