Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: Hurts2Poo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I'm 27 years old and am a fairly healthy guy. I've had hemorrhoids on and off for about seven years. I got my first thrombosed hemorrhoid this year. I got IRC (infrared coagulation) twice, and I still have problems. Doctors just say eat high fiber and drink lots of water, but it doesn't seem to help. I fast (go long periods without eating at all) as a result. Now, I fast fairly regularly and have lost 35 pounds in the last three months. Now I have "thrombosed hemorrhoid No. 2," and I'm just exhausted, both physically and mentally at the intense pain I feel every day. The few things that work for me are: --Over-the-counter Preparation H suppositories (usually too painful to insert though) --Lidocaine (seems to numb a little bit) --Not eating (gives the whole mess down there time to figure out what it wants to do and heal) I learned the hard way that sleeping pills and oxycontin are no good. Taking narcotics for pain is a terrible idea, and please don't do it. It will 100% cause constipation, which in turn will cause more pain, which sucks. So, in short, don't be afraid to fast, and don't take narcotics for the pain. It will hurt you so much more, and you will hate yourself for sabotaging yourself in the healing process.

Comment from: CCFLA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Go buy Desitin or the store brand containing 40% zinc oxide! Last night, I used some, and although the hemorrhoids are not gone, they are reduced significantly. I slept through the night for the first time in a long time. I also had the first normal bowel movement in a long time this morning. Woo hoo -- no bleedint! I was just about at the end of my rope. My doctor said surgery was necessary, but I am in a huge initiative at work and cannot take time off now. Surgery may still be necessary, but at the very least I feel the zinc oxide will get me through the summer. Yes, it is a bit of a mess, but no more than the other creams. I put the cream on a cotton swab and inserted it that way. It is a little cumbersome but well worth the effort.

Comment from: TaxFossilFuels, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

Fit male with healthy diet including plenty of fiber, internal hemorrhoids developed over 10 years to the point where they often bled and had to be pushed back in. Once, they bled through my pants onto my chair at work. 3 weeks ago, banded a big one, it seemed to stimulate more frequent bowel movements, it was sore for almost 2 weeks, and it took 9 days for it to fall off. At 2 weeks got the smallest one banded, which was much more painful as I was still sore from the first one, but I was much less sore than with the first, the band fell off after only a few days, and after only a week I'm not feeling sore at all.

Comment from: Freeatlast!, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am 38 YO white male and have SUFFERED from internal hemorrhoids and external anal fishers for about 3 years. They would burn and itch, especially at night. I could not sleep without taking hot bath (even 2-3 time per night near the end) and long trips in car were out of the question. I could not work comfortably or exercise. I tried everything that is available in the US and a few products from China and from the Middle East. Lidocane (5%) ointment I purchased from amazon helped me a lot. I got the most relief from the product I picked up in Beirut Lebanon. It was called Procto Synalar manufactured by Grunenthal. On the box it labeled as a mixture of Lidocane and Flucinoloni acetonidium, which is probably a steroid. It was miles and away better than the Hydrocortisone suppositories I got in the US. Once the hemorrhoids reach a certain stage there is little else you can do but get the surgery. I finally relented and got the banding surgery. It was $769. Insurance usually covers 50-80%. I prepped for the surgery by making sure I was "cleaned out" by taking Metamucil and making sure I drank a lot of water to ensure soft stool before the bands are in place. I also took Tylenol before and after the procedure. Avoid Ibuprofen since there could be bleeding from the operation. The actual procedure takes about 2 minutes. They insert a metal cylinder to hold the anal cavity open then band the hemorrhoid. I had three. They won't do more than 2 at once because of the discomfort so I had to return 3 weeks later to do the last one. There is a lot of discomfort and moderate pain for the first day. BUT THE BURNING AND ITCHING WAS GONE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. It feels like you have to go to the bathroom really badly. Try and resist this feeling as much as you can. Take a warm bath as soon as you get home as this helps relax the anal muscles. Try and find something to do to keep your mind off the pain for the first few hours. I played my guitar. The pain gets much less by the second day and by day four I felt fairly normal. Bowel movements can be a little tough so make sure to keep drinking water and taking stool softeners. It was worth all the discomfort to be free of these horrible things. And the discomfort was not as bad as the pain from the hemorrhoids themselves.

Comment from: Geraldine Guttierez, Female Published: June 10

I have read in an article that the warm water soaking treatment is best for thrombosed external hemorrhoids, this is because it can lessen the pain and the itchy feeling it brings to the person.

Comment from: b.greeney, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I've had hemorrhoids for a few year snow. Since natural home remedies haven't really helped me in the long run (the itching got less but the hemorrhoids didn't shrink), my doctor now recommended a new type of surgery called Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialization (THD). It's an outpatient surgery where the blood supplying arteries of the hemorrhoid are ligated. He said I should be able to get back to work within a day or 2 and that it has less complications and less post-operative pain than other types of surgery, so I think I'll give it a go and will let you know!

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. This area ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?