Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: DotDotDot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am a female in my 20s who doesn't exercise at all but eats decently. I started to suffer from recurring hemorrhoids randomly a year ago and it was so painful I would wake up from my sleep. It was painful in any position, sitting down, standing up, and lying on bed (side way, face up, face down, etc.) Walking around did seem to help, however. In the beginning, I used Vaseline to seal minor bleeding and tear. For pain, I took Advil or acetaminophen. Then, I purchased witch hazel wipes, which were helpful to reduce swelling. I use both Tucks (smaller sheets but more moist) and Preparation H (larger sheet but kind of dry). I prefer Tucks. I also purchased suppositories but found it painful to insert it. I am now going on a 100 percent cold-pressed juice diet and drinking 3 L of water per day to clean and rest my gastrointestinal tract. Hopefully, hemorrhoid will be gone for good!

Comment from: Andrew, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

I was suffering from bleeding piles since 8 years. Doctor advised me to go for operation but I was not convinced about that. I started following the do's and don'ts, exercise, and natural medicines. I followed all the instructions and now I am ok without the hemorrhoids operation. I feel there are ways for every problem, we just need to accept this.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

After years of pain and bleeding I discovered what seems to be a miracle for the treatment of hemorrhoids. Coconut oil and baking soda. I apply the oil and then pat on the baking soda; it works.

Comment from: Siobhan_N., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

I'd like to share with you my personal experience with hemorrhoids and pain caused by them. I suffered a lot since I was I child and a couple of years ago I decided to get in touch with THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) /HALO (hemorrhoidal artery ligation operation) surgery that solved my problems and gave me the opportunity of a normal life.

Comment from: Violet S., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

If I can help people with this excruciating pain then I will definitely share my experience. I've had hemorrhoids all my life but they were never a problem and only mildly flared up. They always went away on their own. About 2 years ago I had a more sever case where I was surprised to see how painful they were and how I wasn't able to sit down. Again, they seemed to go off on their own. I did use suppositories to help calm them down. About 4 weeks ago I had the worst case of flared up hemorrhoids I've ever experienced. I got a mild form but then one day I went to exercise and, goodness, did that exacerbate my situation! I couldn't sit down, I had this excruciating pain, and I was scared to have a bowel movement. I called the doctor and made an appointment for the following Tuesday for surgery. But I started to read online about surgery and the awful after-effects. I proceeded to do all I could naturally. I ate a high fiber diet, vegetables, salads, etc. I have a juice and made most of my vegetable/fruit supplements into smoothies or liquids which is what you want to do. I did not eat any carbohydrates/bread. I drank plenty of water. It says to take Metamucil or Citrucel but these add bulk to stool. I chose to take Fiber Smart which has soluble plus insoluble fiber in it. This is better because I don't want my stools formed. I also used lidocaine, hemorrhoid cream, suppositories, and hydrocortisone. I sat in a hot sitz bath after every bowel movement in the morning and every evening. I also used Tucks and the like because the witch hazel is an astringent for hemorrhoids. I made a concoction of smashed aspirin (4 baby tablets) mixed with lidocaine and put that onto my Tucks and tucked it in there. It seemed to calm it down. Finally, I also switched up my aspirin/Tucks mix with AVC (apple cider vinegar). AVC is great for hemorrhoids although it might sting a bit. You can dilute it with water or apply it straight. Use a cotton ball and place it on the area. I pour the ACV onto my Tucks pad and place it in there. Remember to try and follow a liquid diet as much as possible because those bowel movements put me into tears! I hope this regimen works for others as well. I am feeling so much better now.

Comment from: Sheetal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been suffering with hemorrhoids for 12 years. I had them while delivering my baby. On and off I would have episodes where I would have to be in terrible pain for days, sometimes weeks. I tried everything on the web. Recently I found a natural cure. Eating 5 munakkas followed by a glass of water at night. And cleaning the area for about a minute with water after bowel movement. That's it. I am pain free. I wanted to share since I've been through the pain. Munakkas are big raisins with seeds inside.

Comment from: Bob, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I don't see anyone mentioning cortisone cream; as this is what the doctors prescribe. The prescription grade is 2%, but you can get 1% from the store for $4, hydrocortisone 10 + intensive healing formula. I use it once a day before work or sleep. It removes the itch, the pain… everything. It makes it perfectly painless to pass stools. I have been applying it directly to hemorrhoids for years and it allows me to perform manual labor in the hot sun. I also have a strict diet of high fiber, eggs, bread and water. I have also learned that ejaculation exacerbates the situation immensely. It is a major sacrifice, but abstinence, at least for me, helps 100%.

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.