Viewer Comments: Hepatitis A - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A):

Hepatitis A - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hepatitis A infection?

Comment from: nurse, 45-54 Female Published: March 21

I had to get IV fluids twice when dehydration was severe. I was told to rest at home till infectious period was over. I had a lengthy period off work to recover. I was told fatigue was common post hep A.

Comment from: Gulshan Pahwa, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My son had HAV and had to be hospitalized for 10 days. He was vomiting and I got him admitted in the hospital. His condition improved only after 15 days. His eyes were yellow and his skin also turned to yellow. The doctor advised him to take rest for a month and gave him multivitamin syrups.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had hepatitis about 15 years ago, never knew which one I had until I read this page, and now I know it was HAV. I remember being very sick, and was going to be isolated in the hospital, but the doctor decided to do house calls every day, took blood tests every day and had to have complete bed rest. As far as I can remember there wasn't much treatment, only rest and blood tests. I had no energy at all. I'm sure things have progressed a lot further since then. Hope this might help someone.

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis A

Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
Hepatitis B Hepatitis is a general term that means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis B is caused by infection with the hepatitis B virus (HBV, Hep B). Hepatitis B is tra...learn more >>
Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C Hepatitis C is inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus. Hepatitis C is contagious. Symptoms of hepatitis include fatigue, abdom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A):

Hepatitis A - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hepatitis A?