Viewer Comments: Hepatitis A - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A):

Hepatitis A - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hepatitis A?

Comment from: mothergoose3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have had Hepatitis A (though the first time they called it "Yellow Jaundice") twice. Neither time did anyone else in the house get infected. The first time I was 13 yrs old and since that was in March 1953 water would probably have been a problem. I was not treated other than told I couldn't eat anything containing fats or eggs. I was allowed to eat dry toast (Melba toast), boiled fish, and a bit of jam on my toast. My 10 yr old cousin in a rural area had it at almost the same time, and she was not treated and she could eat whatever she wanted. Hers didn't last as long, mine lasted a month. We both had to drink lots of water. The second time was when I was 30 yrs old (Feb. 1971). I had no treatment other than drinking lots of water, and I was sick for a month. Both times the symptoms vomiting, pain around the liver, dark yellow skin and eyes, pale diarrhea, and very itchy skin (particularly when I was 30).

Comment from: LPK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I suffered 48 hours of continuous diarrhea and vomiting before I got to see a doctor, now a week since diagnosis and I have suffered a myriad of symptoms from extreme fatigue, joint aches and cramps, constipation, loss of appetite, insomnia, itchy skin which has resulted in a nasty rash and dark urine. I would not wish this on anyone, please be sure to wash those hands.

Comment from: Esther, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband returned from a three month trip to India and coming home on the plane he felt very I'll with shivers and weakness. He was incontinent and unable to walk or to talk. His temperature shoot up to 103. A week later he was unable to walk and felt extremely weak without appetite or any strength to walk or sit. He lost weight and had very dark circles under the eyes. His diarrhea was non-stop for two weeks. Blood tests were done and it showed the liver enzymes were abnormal. One week later we were told he had hepatitis A.

Comment from: sally c., 25-34 Female Published: September 20

My complexion of skin of my face and neck became very yellow. I lost my appetite. I felt generally under the weather. I lost weight. I seem to remember that it lasted several weeks and gradually faded away. I remember I felt an aversion to all foods, particularly those containing milk and milk products. I drank a lot of water because I was told it was good for me. That was several years ago and I have never had another attack.

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Extreme headache, joint aches, insomnia, anxiety, cognitive impairment, painful eyes and others.

With hepatitis A I've been suffering from fatigue, sore throat, unusual thirst, light-colored stools, brown urine, yellowing of skin and eyes, and indigestion.

Comment from: Stressed Parent, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My child has yellow eyes, fatigue, loss of appetite, and itchy skin, and occasional stomach pains.

Comment from: nurse, 45-54 Female Published: March 21

I started with lower back pain, fever, vomiting and headache. This progressed to severe vomiting, dehydration and weakness. My urine was dark and I had a slight jaundice to whites of my eyes.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have hepatitis A. I have a fever, my eyes are getting yellowish and my urine is dark.

Comment from: Mohd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

With hepatitis A, I had a fever for a few days as well as itchy skin all over my body.

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis A

Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
Hepatitis B Hepatitis is a general term that means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis B is caused by infection with the hepatitis B virus (HBV, Hep B). Hepatitis B is tra...learn more >>
Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C Hepatitis C is inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus. Hepatitis C is contagious. Symptoms of hepatitis include fatigue, abdom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A):

Hepatitis A - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hepatitis A infection?