Viewer Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: mgzy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I was diagnosed with Hep B way back in 2005 when I was supposed to donate blood to my nephew. It was normal to do laboratory check on my blood hence it was found out that I'm reactive to the illness. I'm very depressed and demoralized since this disease has been unacceptable just like the unpopularity of AIDS. I was so nervous that I've got ashamed to talk with other people onwards. Finally, my mom subjected me to series of tests so that damage to the liver may be traced. The doctor told me that; YES you are a carrier, BUT HEALTHY HEPA B carrier. This is nothing to worry about. I'm a little bit confused on what he said but quite uplifted since I'm not dying pitifully in an instant. He advised me to go on with my normal lifestyles but should avoid fatty foods and any kinds of liquor. Now, it's been 6 years and I feel no worries since I don't feel any symptoms at all. I hope this will just vanished miraculously for which I know NO CURE has been developed against this illness.

Comment from: tino, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I am a twenty two year old man from the Caribbean and I have had hepatitis for five years now and sometimes it's a struggle but other times it's like I don't have it. I found out I had the disease when I went to the doctor to give blood and they called a week later. I know it's scary because the doctor never calls back and says that my blood is too good we must have some more. So right away I knew something was wrong. They said they had good and bad news for me. I listened to the good news first and they said luckily I don't have AIDS but I do have hepatitis b and there is no cure known to man that can fully cure it. They said recovery is all up to me and how I live my life from now on. I was stupid for not wearing a condom but to my defense I knew she got checked for AIDS and passed so I wasn't worried. So the doctors said don't drink any more alcohol. Easier said than done. I love to drink. They also said the usual things like take it easy , get plenty of rest, exercise and water. They said most people get care by their own bodies and I shouldn't worry because I am in good health. The doctors were good to me and really helped me to understand what I had and what I can do about it. Also the hepatitis group at the hospital although scary at first was very helpful to my wellbeing because it reminded me that am not alone. I was naive to believe in the year 2010 AIDS was all I had to worry about. I hope I was some help to those out there until next time, I am great, healthy and cured after 6 months and looking for a great women to spend the rest of my life with.

Comment from: kk, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I am a man of 32 years from Ghana. Early 2009 I had a severe stomach swelling and tiredness. I consulted my doctor and I was told that I have gas in my stomach. I kept on taking some medicine which was not curing my sickness. in June last year I change my doctor and the new doctor diagnosed me and the result was that I have hepatitis b. since then I never took any medicine but I sometimes have pains in my chest I have done another test and no part of my liver is damaged. I have stopped eating oily food and instead eat a lot of fruits.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

Thanks so much for this site. I have learned more here than all of my other combined searches and attempts with my MD! I'm gay and caught HB via a sexual encounter. My infection is conceptualized with a positive HIV status. I didn't experience any of the awful symptoms/hospitalizations like those described here due to H-B. My problem is in distinguishing where the Hep-B/HIV start and end as they impact my health. Currently I have body soreness/fatigue are my main concerns, especially, recovery from a workout at the gym. Also, the next day following light social drinking is rough for me. I feel very ill the next day. My HIV meds are holding the Hep-B viral load at undetectable levels. I want to know what my liver functions level is and-so thanks for the lead for the Liver Function Test. I'm scheduling an appointment with a liver specialist. I want to know if I can ever enjoy a glass of wine now and then. Best wishes to all of you!

Comment from: Regrets, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to the emergency room with severe stomach pains after spending a weekend at home vomiting and feeling very tired. I was told I had hepatitis B and was admited in the hospital where I spent 10 days - Symptoms were vomiting, constant nausia, no appetite, jaundice, dark urine and extreme exhaustion. I went home where it took 8 more weeks before I was well enough to go back to work. I have been back at work about 4 weeks and continue to have slight pains in my stomach and tiredness. I'm on 1 mg of Baraclude daily and my doctor tells me I will have to be on this the rest of my life to "prevent the spread/dammage in my own body." I did have a liver biopsy done and was told there was some liver damage.

Comment from: Ann Marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got Hepatitis B back in 2004. I was feeling tired all the time (really tired), and then it started to feel as though I got hit by a truck. I didn't think much of it and thought it may be the flu. So one day, I was talking to my friend and she said that I looked yellow! Well, long story short, I went in and had Hepatitis B. I had got it three weeks before, and it was in very, very high levels. I was in the hospital for over a week and then I went home. I was sick for about two months. I had a liver biopsy, and it damaged my liver, but I am good now. So here I am, five years later. I'm doing well, and you can't even tell by looking at me that anything was ever wrong with me.

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Treatment
Hepatitis B Treatment Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis can be potentially prevented by the available hepatitis vaccines for b...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Adults
Immunization Schedule, Adults At least 45,000 adults in the United States die of complications of influenza, pneumococcal infections, and hepatitis B each year. These diseases, and others th...learn more >>
Childhood Immunization Schedule
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis B symptoms?

Hepatitis B - Treatment

What were your hepatitis B treatment?