Viewer Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

...
Comment from: Regrets, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to the emergency room with severe stomach pains after spending a weekend at home vomiting and feeling very tired. I was told I had hepatitis B and was admited in the hospital where I spent 10 days - Symptoms were vomiting, constant nausia, no appetite, jaundice, dark urine and extreme exhaustion. I went home where it took 8 more weeks before I was well enough to go back to work. I have been back at work about 4 weeks and continue to have slight pains in my stomach and tiredness. I'm on 1 mg of Baraclude daily and my doctor tells me I will have to be on this the rest of my life to "prevent the spread/dammage in my own body." I did have a liver biopsy done and was told there was some liver damage.

Comment from: Ann Marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got Hepatitis B back in 2004. I was feeling tired all the time (really tired), and then it started to feel as though I got hit by a truck. I didn't think much of it and thought it may be the flu. So one day, I was talking to my friend and she said that I looked yellow! Well, long story short, I went in and had Hepatitis B. I had got it three weeks before, and it was in very, very high levels. I was in the hospital for over a week and then I went home. I was sick for about two months. I had a liver biopsy, and it damaged my liver, but I am good now. So here I am, five years later. I'm doing well, and you can't even tell by looking at me that anything was ever wrong with me.

Comment from: Sassy Girl, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I had hepatitis B twice: Once when I was 10 years old, and it lasted about a month; and at 18, when it lasted about three months. I had no idea that I carried the virus until I was almost 33 years old. I can't imagine why I would not be told this after having been so sick with it, but I haven't had any real effects from it that I know of. I think I must be a healthy hepatitis B carrier because I don't know of any symptoms. I notice three things that are annoying and I now wonder if it has anything to do with the hepatitis B virus. For one, I am nauseous a lot, I don't heal well with bruises, and I am tired a lot. For the most part though, I feel really well.

Comment from: Zahara23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Thanks for your testimonials. I am an African woman and I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1995 after a routine check-up. I was scared as I had no idea what it was. The doctor made it worse by telling me that I will never have kids as I will pass it on. I was told in 2002 after I was tested when pregnant that it was chronic! I have gone on to have two kids who were immunized at birth! I see a liver specialist every year who checks my viral load. Last time it was very low, but I had a liver function test which was normal. I have no symptoms and am not on any medication 18 years on, I believe I caught it from a dentist surgery in the ghetto. I smile each time I see my kids!

Comment from: Jen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I'm the chronic Hepatitis B carrier and I'm also the medical student. I went to clinic in order to inject HBV prevention vaccine. According to lab result, I have hepatitis B. I was seriously depressed, but I went to a physician and I've learnt about HBV. I have a medical check-up for my liver function test every three months, and I have ultrasounds to check my liver functions well. I have no symptoms and I'm healthy like ordinary people. I wish all the HBV carriers like me be well and healthy! We can live happily in our lives since life is such a beautiful thing.

Comment from: nana yaa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I tested positive for hepatitis B but the liver function test, which proved that my liver is in a good shape.

Comment from: ozone, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

Good day. I'm a nurse from the Philippines and I was applying for work abroad in June when I learned that I was positive for hepatitis B.

Comment from: Puzzled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I recently went to donate blood and found out that I have recovered from a Hep B infection, and it is now not in my blood, just the antibodies that signify that I've had it sometime in the past and I am now immune. I am in Canada and have had 3 kids, with several blood tests with each pregnancy (last one 5 yrs ago) and the last doctor's blood test was 3 years ago. I had a full course of vaccinations including Hep B when I took an EMT course when I was 21. Obviously after 18 years it must have no longer been effective as I'm guessing I got the infection in the last year after a vacation to the Caribbean including Puerto Rico and Haiti. I do not fall into any of the at risk categories (faithfully married over 15 years, no tattoos, don't like pedicures and no blood transfusions or jabs with needles). I do recall having very yellow eyes and dark urine around the time of a flu and that must have been it. It was likely about 6 months after my trip. Still I didn't realize that my vaccination for Hep B didn't give me lifetime immunity... with caring for kids and all their vaccinations I guess I forgot to worry about myself. Unfortunately, they don't vaccinate for Hep B until age 10 here, so I have 2 unvaccinated kids I'll have to get tested. My husband is with the police and his vaccinations are up to date. So if you are travelling update your shots!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Treatment
Hepatitis B Treatment Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis can be potentially prevented by the available hepatitis vaccines for b...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Adults
Immunization Schedule, Adults At least 45,000 adults in the United States die of complications of influenza, pneumococcal infections, and hepatitis B each year. These diseases, and others th...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Children
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis B symptoms?

Hepatitis B - Treatment

What were your hepatitis B treatment?