Viewer Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: Mado, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B two years ago and I became so scared that I was crying every day. I was told that I'd had it since I was small and I can't explain how I got it. The doctor did a test on me and told me that I have developed antibodies for it and that I don't need any treatment. I keep visiting this site fore information on hepatitis because sometimes I get flu-like symptoms or a stomach disorder and I get scared and begin to wonder if the virus is still in me. I also sleep quite a lot. I do not drink alcohol or engage in sexual activities.

Comment from: MERCY, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

i just discovered that my new house help has hepatitis B. I'm not sure if I should keep her on or not.

Comment from: Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I was 42 years old before I found out I have chronic hepatitis B. I never had any symptoms/illness at any time. My doctor asked to perform the test because I am a gay male and I get regularly tested for HIV. I figured sure, why not? I never came up positive for HIV. She called me and told me I had Hepatitis B and it was chronic. I had severe fibrosis after a biopsy and my liver function was above the normal range. My viral load was over 900,000,000. After 3 months of adefovir it dropped to 600,000. After one year only 400,000. My liver function is back to normal. My doctor just switched me to entecavir and now I'm waiting to see if it works better. But I never knew, never had any symptoms/illness. From what they are saying I may have had this for 20 years.

Comment from: ImsoScared10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm 35 yrs of age Just found out today I have Hep B virus. I NEVER used drugs and I don't drink. I'm so afraid right now and I can't stop crying. I don't have a clue as to how I contracted this virus. They will run test on my liver 2 months from now and that scares me as well.

Comment from: Strength from God, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I had gone to my family doctor in 2004 and had the usual blood test, but he noticed a slight problem and referred me to another doctor for further testing. Sure enough, I had Hep B. I had a liver biopsy and it was positive. It was a major blow to me, but I knew that worry would not help. As I knew from reading my bible, the thing to do was turn my problem over to God and not worry any more. This didn't mean my disease would disappear, but my worries were gone. I started with the steps for treatment. The only thing I had experienced was fatigue. I went through every medicine listed here, but it was the drug Truvada that really turned around my bloodwork. As of my last follow-up, my Hep B was undetectable, and I have another follow-up next month, bloodwork and ultra sound. But I am told that I will need to stay on the medication for the rest of my life.

Comment from: jummy, 19-24 Female Published: June 28

I am Jummy and I am 29 years old, from Nigeria. I had a blood transfusion in 2007, but I didn't bother to go for my check-up. In 2009, I got pregnant and I was told I have hepatitis B, though my baby was vaccinated. I was so scared because I don't really like going to the hospital because of the fear that the doctors will always have bad news, and that kills me psychologically. I am so happy to read viewers' comment because I have not been having any of the stated symptoms. I pray that I will live long like the woman who wrote earlier. It really gives me hope. Thank you for publishing viewers' comments.

Comment from: bookworm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a hepatitis B carrier due to a dodgy blood transfusion in the 70s. I can't seem to find much information on carriers and whether or not I should expect to contract full-blown hepatitis B. Currently, it is low-grade hepatitis, but I have been a carrier for more than 25 years, and I think it should fully be full-blown by now.

Comment from: Yesel, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 23 from Bhutan, recently I accidentally came to know that I have contracted Hepatitis B. I actually don't know how or when I contracted it but I have it now. I was so much depressed to learn about it but your website was a blessing for me, I am thankful to everyone here. I am trying my best to kill the disease in its acute stage itself! Please PRAY for me and all the ones who are positive!

Comment from: lpaula9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I recently had a gall bladder surgery and within two weeks developed issues with urine and yellowish tent to my eyes and body. Went to doctor, who ran blood work and the results were that I was positive for Hepatitis B. I have never done drugs with needles, nor had any sexual partners within the past year.

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Treatment
Hepatitis B Treatment Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis can be potentially prevented by the available hepatitis vaccines for b...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Adults
Immunization Schedule, Adults At least 45,000 adults in the United States die of complications of influenza, pneumococcal infections, and hepatitis B each year. These diseases, and others th...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Children
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis B symptoms?

Hepatitis B - Treatment

What were your hepatitis B treatment?