Viewer Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: Abu Hanif A., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I have hepatitis B, and now I'm feeling depressed.

Comment from: pudman56, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

A 25 plus years hepatitis B survivor was co-infected with HIV. Very recently he was found to have lesions (tumors) on his liver.

Comment from: ebourjolly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

In the early 70s while working at the library, I used to donate blood once a year. Unfortunately that came to a stop in 1975 when it was discovered that I was infected with the HEP B antigen. I was told that it was not serious and that I was just a carrier like so many others. I was too ignorant and naive then and did not take the matter seriously nor did I do any research on the disease. In 2012, about 37 years later I had a hernia surgery performed and in the process a thorough examination was done with bloodwork included. I was shocked to discover that the B antigen was still residing in my blood. Little did I know that it was a permanent thing, symptoms or no symptoms. I decided to meet with my doctor who explained that I had a low viral load therefore my liver is fine and the virus is dormant so to speak. Most people can lead a regular life style in such condition. Now that after 30 years, my doctor decided to have me undergo regular tests such as the sonogram, blood work etc. I get tested at least twice a year to make sure my liver is intact. So far, so good. Lucky for me I was not aware 30 years ago or I would be living in a state of depression and anticipation.

Comment from: Zahara23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Thanks for your testimonials. I am an African woman and I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1995 after a routine check-up. I was scared as I had no idea what it was. The doctor made it worse by telling me that I will never have kids as I will pass it on. I was told in 2002 after I was tested when pregnant that it was chronic! I have gone on to have two kids who were immunized at birth! I see a liver specialist every year who checks my viral load. Last time it was very low, but I had a liver function test which was normal. I have no symptoms and am not on any medication 18 years on, I believe I caught it from a dentist surgery in the ghetto. I smile each time I see my kids!

Comment from: Jen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I'm the chronic Hepatitis B carrier and I'm also the medical student. I went to clinic in order to inject HBV prevention vaccine. According to lab result, I have hepatitis B. I was seriously depressed, but I went to a physician and I've learnt about HBV. I have a medical check-up for my liver function test every three months, and I have ultrasounds to check my liver functions well. I have no symptoms and I'm healthy like ordinary people. I wish all the HBV carriers like me be well and healthy! We can live happily in our lives since life is such a beautiful thing.

Comment from: nana yaa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I tested positive for hepatitis B but the liver function test, which proved that my liver is in a good shape.

Comment from: ozone, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

Good day. I'm a nurse from the Philippines and I was applying for work abroad in June when I learned that I was positive for hepatitis B.

Comment from: Puzzled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I recently went to donate blood and found out that I have recovered from a Hep B infection, and it is now not in my blood, just the antibodies that signify that I've had it sometime in the past and I am now immune. I am in Canada and have had 3 kids, with several blood tests with each pregnancy (last one 5 yrs ago) and the last doctor's blood test was 3 years ago. I had a full course of vaccinations including Hep B when I took an EMT course when I was 21. Obviously after 18 years it must have no longer been effective as I'm guessing I got the infection in the last year after a vacation to the Caribbean including Puerto Rico and Haiti. I do not fall into any of the at risk categories (faithfully married over 15 years, no tattoos, don't like pedicures and no blood transfusions or jabs with needles). I do recall having very yellow eyes and dark urine around the time of a flu and that must have been it. It was likely about 6 months after my trip. Still I didn't realize that my vaccination for Hep B didn't give me lifetime immunity... with caring for kids and all their vaccinations I guess I forgot to worry about myself. Unfortunately, they don't vaccinate for Hep B until age 10 here, so I have 2 unvaccinated kids I'll have to get tested. My husband is with the police and his vaccinations are up to date. So if you are travelling update your shots!

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Treatment
Hepatitis B Treatment Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis can be potentially prevented by the available hepatitis vaccines for b...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Adults
Immunization Schedule, Adults At least 45,000 adults in the United States die of complications of influenza, pneumococcal infections, and hepatitis B each year. These diseases, and others th...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Children
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis B symptoms?

Hepatitis B - Treatment

What were your hepatitis B treatment?