Viewer Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: aaawwweee, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My boyfriend is a carrier of hepatitis B and now I'm really scared to know if the virus already affected me... he's jobless right now due to this illness and I'm really depressed for not being with him lately...

Comment from: confused, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I am a 45 year old male that discovered I had hepatitis B during annual STD testing. The clinic could not tell me anything other than I had it. Not sure if it was acute or chronic and to see a doctor. That day I was vaccinated for hepatitis A and was supposed to be vaccinated for hepatitis B. The doctor stopped the hepatitis B vaccination until results came back. That day by the time I got home I felt like I had been hit by a train and was still lying on the tracks. My eyes and skin turned yellow for 16 weeks. I was not hospitalized, but I did follow up with doctors who did not know what hepatitis b was and had to look it up. They wanted to refer me quickly to another doctor to administer treatment. To date, I still have a very difficult time finding answers and results. I'm uninsured and not having a personal doctor leaves me wide open. To date have not followed up as doctors do not work for free and county health clinics only test, not treat. I'm more confused than ever.

Comment from: depressed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B in 2002 when I went to donate blood for a cousin. I was so depressed to know that I had it. I don't even know how I got it. I never had sex or blood transfusions before I was diagnosed. So it's still a mystery how I got it. I am not taking any medications but I do yoga every morning and drink lot of fruit juices. I have heard of people getting cured from yoga. I am healthy and there are no symptoms at all. I do feel nauseated sometimes because I have a migraine also and some mild stomach pains due to gastritis. What worries me is that I might give it to husband and my baby if I ever get married. It really depresses me.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I tested positive to Hepatitis B when I wanted to donate blood for my pregnant wife just last wee. After all the necessary blood screening, I was told I could not donate because I got a positive result from a Hepatitis B test, even though I've never had any symptoms up to this moment. My doctor told me I am just a carrier, and that I might not be affected but could infect others. I've been placed on some antiviral medications, but now my fear now is my unborn child. I've come across this site when I used Google to search Hepatitis B, to learn more about the virus, the causes, symptoms and the latest treatment available.

Comment from: majdah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I checked my status in April of this year. The doctor told me that I have hepatitis B, and he didn't explain anything. I asked my friend about it and she told me to visit your site. I don't have any of the signs or symptoms that I read here, and I'm wondering if the results of the test could have been wrong.

Comment from: Lex, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I am weak especially when I woke up from bed, I cannot eat anymore like before, when I eat it looks as if the food I ate has not digested and I fell very hungry, it will look as if I have not eaten for the past 2 days and when I see the food I can eat much. My urine is deep yellowish in color.

Comment from: ArtFreek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I acquired Hep B from a band Groupie back in 1971 - 39 years ago. It has been dormant ever since it went away, until now - 2010. My blood level in my liver tested that it is high enough for me to be yellow again and my doctor was surprised that I wasn't! This is messing up my life so tremendously I can't believe it. I have been waiting for 12 years for a back surgery and now, since this thing has shown its ugly head again, I can't have the surgery until it is under control - or 'dormant' again. I hate this so much I can't tell you.

Comment from: JS, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have been told that I had hepatitis B at some time in my life. I don't recall ever being ill with severe symptoms, although of course I have had the odd episode of nausea and vomiting which quickly got better. I have no idea how I could have contracted this disease. I have never had sexual relations with anyone other than my husband, (who is now deceased), but have had a few blood transfusions in my life. I am completely confused. My doctor just told me that very matter-of-factly, and offered no other explanation or follow-up. Maybe she thinks I am just too old and ill with other problems to be bothered!

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Treatment
Hepatitis B Treatment Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis can be potentially prevented by the available hepatitis vaccines for b...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Adults
Immunization Schedule, Adults At least 45,000 adults in the United States die of complications of influenza, pneumococcal infections, and hepatitis B each year. These diseases, and others th...learn more >>
Immunization Schedule, Children
Immunization Schedule, Children Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease. Most children get all their shots during childhood. Parents should consult t...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B):

Hepatitis B - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis B symptoms?

Hepatitis B - Treatment

What were your hepatitis B treatment?