Hepatitis C Overview
Hepatitis is a general term that means inflammation of the liver. This
inflammation can be caused by contagious diseases such as viral infections.
Hepatitis can also be caused by exposure to alcohol, certain medications,
chemicals, poisons, and other toxins, or by other diseases. Hepatitis C virus
(HCV) is one of the many viruses that can cause inflammation of the liver.
Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with HCV is referred to as
- If the infection does not resolve, it becomes chronic (ongoing, long term)
and can cause chronic liver disease, which can be serious or even fatal.
- Approximately 75% to 85% of people infected with hepatitis C develop
chronic hepatitis C. Many live normal lives, but some develop significant liver
damage over several years.
- If the disease progresses to liver failure (end stage liver disease), then
liver transplant is the only treatment.
- Hepatitis C is an increasing public health concern in the United States and
throughout the world.
- HCV is one of the most common causes of chronic liver disease in the United
States and the most common cause of chronic viral hepatitis.
- It is believed that there are 17,000 new (acute) cases of hepatitis C in
the United States each year. Hepatitis C is the leading viral cause of
cirrhosis, end-stage liver disease, and liver cancer.
- HCV is responsible for 8,000 to 10,000 deaths per year in the United
More than 3 million people in the United States have antibodies to HCV,
meaning they have been infected with the virus at some point; as many as half of
them do not know they have the infection.
Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis C
Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C
Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is referred to as hepatitis C. There are a variety of treatments available for he...learn more >>
Liver Blood Tests
Liver blood tests, or liver function tests, are used to detect and diagnose disease or inflammation of the liver. Elevated aminotransferase (ALT, AST) levels ar...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C: