Viewer Comments: Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C:

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

What was or has been the treatment for your hepatitis C, and was it effective?

Comment from: badluck, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I got a tattoo 5 years ago and within weeks had a terrible rash all over. I was tested and found positive for hepatitis C. I immediately went on the treatment program and had a terrible time, developed every negative symptom. It turns out I am allergic to Interferon. I now have cirrhosis, with high ammonia levels in my blood. I am so bloated I look 9 months pregnant. I can't find a doctor specializes in liver disease and every time I get my news it's bad. I found out a transplant isn't possible because Hep C is a blood disease.

Comment from: slone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I received Interferon injections 3x week for 6 months. This knocked my viral count down from millions to thousands; but did not go into remission. 1 year later did a cocktail of interferon with Ribavirin added. This knocked my viral count down even more but still not in remission. Side effects included deterioration of eyesight, and my red blood cells burst to the point of having to stop treatment after 6 months. I also suffered from nausea (herbal smoke helped with this). I had general flu like symptoms four hours after injection. Ibuprofen helped with aches and pains. My hair began thinning to some small degree. Even with all of this, I'm looking forward to trying new remedies.

Related Reading: Ribavirin | Ibuprofen

Comment from: hanging in, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I went for life insurance and got turned down because my liver enzymes were elevated. I went to a liver specialist and since I already had thyroid cancer they told me I needed to go to a liver transplant specialist in Philadelphia three days before Christmas in 2008. It was the hardest Christmas my family had to go through. But we made it. I am on treatments seven days a week for 96 weeks but cannot handle the pills they make me so sick that I keep losing weight. My virus is negative (so it is working) but I still have another 44 more weeks left until 2011. Just stay strong because you will have good days and bad days. I really feel like you only get what you what you can handle, but sometimes it feels more than I can handle.

Related Reading: thyroid

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C 10 years ago 1999. My medications were successful and cleared the virus from my system. I have had yearly testing and have been clear up until now. I had virology taken to donate my stem cells to my sister who I am a match for. Unfortunately the virology came back positive for hepatitis C. I am devastated and can't believe it could return after all these years (10), and now I cannot be a donor because of this. I have an appointment next week with my family doctor to see what the next step is. I hope I am a candidate for the new interferon. I am not sure if you can have the treatment again.

Comment from: sicko, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've had HCV for probably 35 years. I was fine until around age 41 (I'm 60 now) and began having severe migraines, fatigue, and a sinus infection that wouldn't leave. I finally asked my doc to test for 'everything possible' and she found the virus.

Comment from: Guggles, 45-54 Female Published: June 01

I am a health care worker (an RN with three degrees) and received a needle stick injury twice...Once whilst working in the male prison and another from an infected male patient (in early 1980s). Also found out at same time (was a silly naive 24 year old in love) that my partner (male) was having anal sex and IV sharing with a number of transsexual men (a label they gave themselves). I was very listless and found it hard to care for my son .It was and also unbeknown to me my partner was HIV positive and has since passed on. I am HIV negative. I found out in 1985 I had contracted Hep B. In 1990 was tested for and came up positive for Hep C. Had Liver Biopsy and told "you must be one of the lucky 10%. You have rid yourself of the virus.”

Comment from: John Valdosta Ga, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I got tested in November of 2009 and am positive. My doctor failed to inform me until I went in for a physical in March, 6 days before rotator cuff surgery (I'm typing w/one hand now.) I am currently fatigued; I have no appetite, I have chills and diarrhea. I lost 17 lbs in the last 2 months. I have quit drinking. ALL VIET NAM VETS SHOULD BE TESTED!

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis C

Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis C Medications
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is referred to as hepatitis C. There are a variety of treatments available for he...learn more >>
Liver Blood Tests
Liver Blood Tests Liver blood tests, or liver function tests, are used to detect and diagnose disease or inflammation of the liver. Elevated aminotransferase (ALT, AST) levels ar...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C:

Hepatitis C - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hepatitis C?

Hepatitis C - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis C symptoms?