Viewer Comments: Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C:

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

What was or has been the treatment for your hepatitis C, and was it effective?

Comment from: Living with Hep C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C about 9 years ago. At first, I was emotionally devastated. My symptoms were bad, and I just felt like I was going to die. My dentist didn't want to see me anymore when I told her that I had the virus, and my family reacted very badly. It was quite an effort, but I didn't give up. The first months or years are the hardest. I quit drinking and using recreational drugs altogether and made some important changes to my diet. My viral count and liver enzymes went from very high to undetectable and normal, respectively. I've had few problems throughout these last years, and my liver enzymes have remained normal, for the most part. If you have been diagnosed with hepatitis C, you need to stop drinking almost completely, and stop eating processed and fatty foods. If you're overweight, lose weight. A fatty liver is the second worse thing you can have after alcohol. If at all possible, quit smoking. If you take any medication or are about to take any, be sure to let the doctor know about your hepatitis. Get into the habit of asking your doctor or pharmacist if this medication is potentially damaging to the liver. If you take vitamins, be sure you are taking safe levels, high amounts of vitamins A, D and iron are harmful to the liver. Try taking milk thistle and dandelion as an herbal supplement. These are helpful and are widely used in Europe for hepatitis. It is absolutely not a death sentence, and if you take these steps, you can, in all likelihood, have a perfectly normal life. Many people with hepatitis C never develop cirrhosis and some even clear the virus spontaneously within the first year of infection. Even if it has been more than a year since you were infected, take heart. If you treat yourself well and make some positive changes in your life, everything is going to turn out much better than you think.

Comment from: gygo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I was diagnosed with hep C in 1991. I was treated in a study. I had a biopsy after about 9 months of taking 2 shots weekly of Interferon. It was a total success. My AST and ALT have been very low since completion of treatments in 1992. I have had a RHA test for 4 years ending in 2008. All 100% normal. I now drink alcohol moderately and get blood work every 6 months, it has always been normal. The doctors say you can't get rid of HEP C virus, but they can't detect any level in my body. They said if I wanted to give blood they could not detect anything. I would not since here is no medical proof that the virus can be completely cured. They say it might be possible, but not proven as of now. I highly recommend Interferon alone as I did not get sick. I felt weak and flu like for 1 or 2 days, then no affect for all nine months of taking shots 2 times a week. Final biopsy was 100% normal.

Comment from: Keepingfingerscrossd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with Hep C in 2005 and did almost a year treatment of interferon injections (weekly) and riboviron pills orally every day. My viral loan count is done yearly along with a liver scan. Luckily I responded to the treatment well and just last month (Nov 2010) found my viral load is still at zero. I asked my doctor if this means that I am "cured" he replied that he doesn't like to use that term but considers me in remission and that I am a long term responder. My viral load to begin with was in the hundred thousand rather than in the millions as in some people, so the doctor thinks that may have helped with the fact that I responded so well.

Comment from: nmgary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I was in the hospital for a severe MRSA infection in my leg. When the doctor was placing the CVP line in my neck, she poked herself with the needle. Days later, I found out I was positive for Hep C. At the time, I was an IV drug user. I know that is how I got it. At the time, no doctor would treat me until I got clean. I have had many doctors over the past 5 years. Some doctors wouldn't even cross the room to examine me. I have a wonderful doctor now. I have been free of drugs for three years now. My biggest problem is that I am afraid to tell my doctor of my side effects. I am afraid he will stop the treatment. I want so desperately for this to work that I am willing to put up with the hair loss, nausea, joint pain, flu-like symptoms. After 10 weeks of treatment, my viral load was undetectable. I just hope the treatment continues to work.

Comment from: Chimp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I tried treatment 4 years ago using peg-interferon and Ribavirian and after 12 weeks was stopped as there was minimum viral drop but nothing significant. The treatment was worse than the disease as I am symptom free and by Gods Grace have good liver function and the enzyme levels are just above normal but are positive for HCV. I participated in the Ideal study in 2006 and got the final study numbers stating that only 42% of participants had significant viral suppression to be deemed cured or arrested. Pretty poor stats if you ask me. It is better than nothing if it worked for you. I had my yearly hepatologist visit two weeks ago and they stated the third biotech drug a protease inhibitor should be approved by next summer 2011 and the dreaded treatment will be ribvirian, interferion and the protease inhibitor. They stated the arrestment or sustained viral suppression (cure, but not cured) is up to 75% for those of us that did not have a substantial viral copy drop on the two drug regimen. So there is real hope if you can gut it out for 6 months of treatment once your viral count drops to null.

Must Read Articles Related to Hepatitis C

Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis C Medications
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is referred to as hepatitis C. There are a variety of treatments available for he...learn more >>
Liver Blood Tests
Liver Blood Tests Liver blood tests, or liver function tests, are used to detect and diagnose disease or inflammation of the liver. Elevated aminotransferase (ALT, AST) levels ar...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C:

Hepatitis C - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hepatitis C?

Hepatitis C - Symptoms

What are your hepatitis C symptoms?