Is Follow-up Needed After Hernia Treatment?
To lower the risk of a hernia becoming irreducible or strangulated, the sooner a reducible hernia is repaired the better.
Is It Possible to Prevent a Hernia?
You can do little to prevent areas of the abdominal wall from being or becoming weak, which can potentially become a site for a hernia.
What Is the Prognosis of a Hernia?
- Risk of strangulation: In considering when to have a reducible hernia surgically repaired, it is important to know the risk of strangulation.
- The risk varies with the location and size of the hernia and the length of time it has been present.
- In general, hernias with large sac contents with a relatively small opening are more likely to become strangulated.
- Hernias that have been present for many years may become irreducible.
- Operative complications: Approximately 7% of people undergoing surgical hernia repair will have complications.
- These are short-term and usually treatable.
- The hernia that comes back after initial surgical repair can be repaired by the same or an alternate method.
- Complications include
- recurrence (most common),
- urinary retention,
- wound infection,
- fluid build-up in scrotum (called hydrocele formation),
- scrotal hematoma (bruise), and
- testicular damage on the affected side (rare).
Itani K.M., R. Fitzgibbons Jr., S.S. Awad, Q.Y. Duh, and G.S. Ferzli. "Management of Recurrent Inguinal Hernias." Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 209.5 Nov. 2009: 653-658.
Takata, Mark C., and Quan-Yang Duh. "Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair." Surgical Clinics of North America. 88.1 Feb. 2008: 157-178.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/26/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Hernia
A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bo...learn more >>
More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five
children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society
...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia: