Viewer Comments: Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had strangulated hernia, which caused me to have emergency surgery. The doctor removed over 12 inches of dead bowel. I am at home now but, this was such a bad experience.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: December 13

My son has a hernia between his navel and pelvic area which is enlarged five centimeters. The doctors have given his a belt but the hernia has become painful and he has to have a laxative for his bowels to move. He is incarcerated and the doctors will not operate.

Comment from: Momma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had hernia repair while I was having a liver transplant. I was not pleased with it because it left a bulge in my navel I hadn't had before the repair. I didn't even know I had a hernia.

Comment from: JJ, 75 or over Male Published: November 22

After a slight burning in lower groin area, the burning and uncomfortable ache progressed over an estimated month. Went to my primary care physician for an exam - prognosis a hernia. He has recommended consultation with a local surgeon - which is scheduled in two weeks. In the interim, no heavy lifting.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm 72 and my small abdominal hernia is totally new to me. With little knowledge of this condition, I was feeling a bit panicky. My primary care physician has always been insensitive to my feelings and thinks that explanations are not his responsibility. All he had to say, after I proved to him that I had a hernia was "Nobody should live past age 75." Naturally, I fired him. Thank you for the clear information. I will find another doctor to evaluate my hernia. You have not only informed me as what action to take, you have calmed my mind.

Comment from: kk, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

A year ago I had hernia surgery. I still have pain in stomach after the operation.

Comment from: davyidol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I underwent abdominal hernia surgery about three years ago, I was not told what caused this condition but I assume that it was due to a previous exploratory surgery to find out the cause of a severe abdominal infection. I turned out to be a misplaced appendix which threw my symptoms off and created a severe infection throughout my abdomen. I believe this infection eroded or weakened the abdominal wall, creating two large hernias and severe pain. During surgery my entire abdominal lining was examined and found to be greatly compromised. A large netting was placed over nearly the entire abdomen. After three years I have no pain where the hernias were but I do experience some occasional stomach pain as well as under my diaphragm (where the netting stops) but it is so much better and I can do things again. It's not perfect, but ninety percent relief is much better than not being able to do anything.

Comment from: MICHELE, 35-44 Female Published: June 22

I have had two hernia repairs and how I have to have another one. I don't understand why I keep getting hernias. I do not lift heavy items and I'm not sure what I can do to stop this from happening.

Comment from: PP99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had an incarcerated umbilical wall hernia repaired on 6/1/11. The surgeon said she could repair it successfully and due to the size that I probably had it for a very long time. I was hospitalized for 3 days and in an extended care facility for 2 additional days. This was because I am disabled and needed a couple of days of recuperation to be able to care for myself. Post surgery the pain was strong when trying to sit up or stand and walk for the first 2 1/2 days and moderate on the third day. After the third day it was tolerable but I was somewhat weak and light headed. After the fourth day I had intermittent pain that was tolerable. No problems with infection of any kind and I am healing nicely. I am a type 2 diabetic so my recovery is much better than was anticipated. I was blessed with a great surgeon.

Comment from: BSP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had an operation for an epigastric hernia about 10 years ago. Before I underwent surgery the surgeon told me that such operations are often unsuccessful. Well, he was correct because 10 years down the line, it is back as bad as it was before. It is unsightly.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?