Viewer Comments: Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Comment from: atwitsend, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had umbilical hernia surgery one week ago on 5/13/15. After surgery no one came and talked to me about the surgery and what they did and found. I was provided a small amount of medicines for recovery and oh yeah, this is my 7th surgery on my abdomen area. I called doctor's office and was told that no more medicines would be prescribed as I was given enough until my post operation 1 week later. I was told by the chief to purchase Tylenol and take that for my pain and go to the emergency room (ER) to be evaluated. No one brought me back in early to re-evaluate my situation. Feet and legs are swollen and I have severe cramping in my legs post operation. I was told that my procedure didn't warrant more pain medications as I should not be in pain and the pain I had was not surgical pain, and to call my primary doctor since he was seeing me for chronic abdomen pain. Primary doctor called the surgeon but the surgeon does not feel my pain is surgery related and said to take Motrin. I did go to the ER 4 days after surgery as I could not stand the pain any longer. Surgeon said 36 Percocet were more than enough for the procedure I had. I don't know what to do or where to go from here.

Comment from: slsh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was told by my doctor, that due to my advanced age, I am 62, that he would not do anything to treat my hernia. I believe the hernia was caused by my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) condition. I also have lost weight and my desire to eat, and suffer from GERD. He tossed a paper about hernias at me and walked off. Yes, I will be looking for a new doctor.

Comment from: GiGi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I awoke to a horrible pain. I tried to relaxing, but it got worse. I decided to go to the hospital. By the time I got there, I could barely walk. I was vomiting and sweating profusely. I've given birth to two children naturally. I've had kidney stones. This was worse. The doctor ordered a CT scan told me I had a strangulated hernia and I needed surgery right away. Surgery went well and they repaired the hernia with mesh. I was released from the hospital and a week later I had a follow up visit with my surgeon. He removed half the staples and the drain. Big mistake! My body started to fill with the drainage and I was rushed back to surgery. They reopened my wound and put a wound vacuum on my tummy and an in-home nurse came every other day to care for my wound. It was brutal.

Comment from: pat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had my first hernia surgery on the side of my pelvis. It was painful but recovered just fine. Two weeks ago I had surgery on the right side and now every time I eat I have a knot or lump or something there and it gets painful.

Comment from: sadkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am two days home after being in hospital for seven days for an incisional hernia. I had a lump that I didn't think was an issue, then one day shopping, I nearly doubled over. I went to ER and had surgery with some bowel removed and now a 12-inch incision. The surgeon said it's caused by being fat. I had four previous torso surgeries but now blame myself for not losing weight, causing this. I am afraid of doing anything or eating anything that will cause this to happen again.

Comment from: Lindy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My mum had an incisional hernia repaired twice but it still grew back again, and it ultimately caused her death last month after strangulating her bowel. We have since discovered that if you start vomiting brown liquid you should go to your nearest A&E department urgently as it can mean an obstructed bowel which can be fatal, as in my mums case.

Comment from: recovering, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I just returned home from 4.5 hours of emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia. I am on a blood thinners and needed three bags of plasma before surgery. Even morphine would not stop the pain. Lucky I didn't have to have any bowel removed. Please fix that hernia before it is an emergency!

Comment from: Dudley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had surgery for an abdominal hernia approximately three weeks ago. I have just started having a lot of pain and cramping especially after going for a walk and eating. I have started taking Tylenol for the pain.

Comment from: ezz, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 21

I had a hernia in September. I didn't know it was hernia until I had a large lump appear just above my groin area on the left side.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQ
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?