Viewer Comments: Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Comment from: lois beauty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I recently had a hernia repair. It was a result of an incision from a kidney operation. It has a mesh implant. I'm a 77 year-old hairdresser and would like to get back to work. Work keeps me mentally healthy. I think I need a 2nd opinion because I don't think the mesh was large enough. My right side bulges still and is still uncomfortable.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a hernia repaired 7 months ago only to have another develop soon after. I recently had this repaired with great success. I have minimal pain and no problems.

Comment from: allanw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a large bulge in my groin. I had open surgery which was said to be successful but within two weeks the post-operative pain increased to the extent that it is painful to walk or sit and even when lying down.

Comment from: deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a hernia repaired about six months ago, only to have another develop below the original site. I am very worried that surgery will be required as I had an infection and problems from my last surgery, resulting in a month-long stay in the hospital and vacuum therapy.

Comment from: Desperate Sister, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My sister has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has an incisional hernia in the lower right side of her abdomen. This hernia is the size of a cantaloupe and is inoperable because of blood clot issues.

Comment from: cheslea1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had surgery in 2006 for an incarcerated epigastric hernia - I had the mesh done - I now feel my hernia moving around where it shouldn't be. I had a surgeon who made a 4 inch incision running down my upper abdomen. I have a little pain but really don't want to go through surgery again especially with all the problems they are having with the mesh. Not sure what the danger of leaving it alone is.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?