Viewer Comments: Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Comment from: caroline.l, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I'm recovering after a very large hernia repair which was part of bowel intestine and stomach this was after a C section that a hospital messed up and ended up with this hernia. The operation itself took me well over a year to get to and now I've had it done. I feel so much better. I have mesh inside 6cm of mesh I don't know it's there. It's 4 weeks tomorrow since my operation and after having MRSA with this hernia operation it's still all ok. Fingers crossed but I'm not doing anything no lifting no bending or stretching a little walking but with 2 little ones under 3 doing nothing it is hard. I can't wait to get back to normal!

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My hernia was caused by radiation therapy for cancer. I had a hole between the rectum and vagina from the pellet radiation. This caused me to have a colostomy which ended in a hernia on my left side below my belly button. I was constantly having blockages in great pain, when finally I saw a surgeon about repairing the hernia and the intestines. About 4 hours of surgery, the hernia was repaired. A few months later it came back and is now even larger. I cannot eat raw vegetables plus many cooked ones. They refuse to touch me again as I have had too many surgeries and scar tissue. I still have the blockages but it is caused by scar tissue tearing when I move wrong. I am on disability due to the chemo causing nerve damage to my feet plus I cannot bend over as I can cause scar tissue to tear and I am sick all over again. I can take pain medication and xenox if I can keep it down. If not a suppository to knock me out is the only answer. So I think you should really weigh all options. I know I would never do the radiation pellets as I believe I would have been ok as this was just overkill. Although, I am alive and lots aren't with stage 4 cancer and it is over 5 years. I just think the treatment can do tons of damage and my whole life has changed. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: alb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I recently had a hernia repaired. It was in the bellybutton area. The doctor cut around my bellybutton it was quick and not as painful as I thought. I had more pain before the repair than after surgery. I'm glad I had it repaired so that I can go back to my usual physical activity.

Comment from: sadkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am two days home after being in hospital for seven days for an incisional hernia. I had a lump that I didn't think was an issue, then one day shopping, I nearly doubled over. I went to ER and had surgery with some bowel removed and now a 12-inch incision. The surgeon said it's caused by being fat. I had four previous torso surgeries but now blame myself for not losing weight, causing this. I am afraid of doing anything or eating anything that will cause this to happen again.

Comment from: Lindy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My mum had an incisional hernia repaired twice but it still grew back again, and it ultimately caused her death last month after strangulating her bowel. We have since discovered that if you start vomiting brown liquid you should go to your nearest A&E department urgently as it can mean an obstructed bowel which can be fatal, as in my mums case.

Comment from: recovering, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I just returned home from 4.5 hours of emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia. I am on a blood thinners and needed three bags of plasma before surgery. Even morphine would not stop the pain. Lucky I didn't have to have any bowel removed. Please fix that hernia before it is an emergency!

Comment from: Dudley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had surgery for an abdominal hernia approximately three weeks ago. I have just started having a lot of pain and cramping especially after going for a walk and eating. I have started taking Tylenol for the pain.

Comment from: ezz, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 21

I had a hernia in September. I didn't know it was hernia until I had a large lump appear just above my groin area on the left side.

Comment from: kitty2bird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I started feeling like everything was falling out of me, started vomiting nonstop. My son took me to local E.R. where I was given something for pain and vomiting. They took blood and X-rays and said I needed surgery, then sent me home. I was in severe pain and vomiting that day and the next. My son took me to a hospital in the next state. They were shocked by the way I was treated at local hospital. Did a CT scan, and had emergency surgery immediately.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?