Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Published: April 26

My 11-year-old son awoke at 2 a.m. with severe pain which he said was in his testicles. There was apparent swelling in his pubic region. I took him to the doctor the next morning and he was sent straight to hospital for surgical consult and ultrasound. A hernia was diagnosed and emergency surgery was performed that afternoon.

Comment from: Ttiur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 55 year old female. I had twelve inches removed from my large intestines when I was 37 years old. I felt a pain at my shoulder blade and discovered that I was a torn intestine and fluid was in my abdominal cavity which pushed everything up to my shoulder. There's some name for it, but I can't think of it. That was the beginning. After that I had a hernia from the surgical site. Then I had another and another until I've had a total of six "fixed" hernias. They used mesh every time. NOW, after a hysterectomy and gall bladder removal I have a hernia that's larger than a soft ball that hangs from my right abdomen. It is ugly. It is painful. And three very good specialists tell me it is too dangerous to fix. My intestines are almost visible through the hernia wall. The outer skin is different than my other skin. It seems thinner and gets lots of ulcers from rubbing on my clothing. It also gets bleeders, which is what I call them. One little vein starts bleeding. I have been to a specialist just for the ulcers on my hernia. He prescribed an ointment of painkiller mixed with the stuff they put on burn victims sores. Only one pharmacist in town will mix it. The surgeons said if I would rather go back to size 16 from the 3X I have to wear now or risk dying in surgery it was up to me. I just went out and bought a bunch of 3X clothes.

Comment from: sylvia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

With my hernia, I had extreme groin pain with difficulty walking.

Comment from: andi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had pain similar to indigestion, located under my left breast. I had frequent bowel movements, starting from every hour increasing to 15 minute intervals. These movements were hard little balls, which is not typical for me. The pain was stabbing and sharp and increased in intensity as time went on.

Comment from: sue, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

My fiance' was shoveling snow and later that night noticed a small lump, sore to the touch. The next day he shoveled the car out and came in all out of breath and the snow was slushy and heavy. Since then it has grown 3-4 times the size it started and does not go back in at all. He's in a lot of pain, but worried. He has no insurance to have surgery. The lump is huge now and is extremely painful now! It is right where your leg bends and toward the inner thigh.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had emergency gall bladder surgery, and two weeks after surgery I pointed out a lump that was appearing at one of the incision sites. Four months later a surgical student advised me it was a ruptured stomach muscle and that I was overweight. Since I was still sore and eating habits were being affected, I went back to my GP, and had an ultrasound done, where they diagnosed a hernia. I am now on the waiting list for surgery.

Comment from: T. ECCLES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was recently told by my GP and specialist at the hospital that I could have a hernia, which kind as not been confirmed as yet, not until I have had, I think is called a CT scan! If it is confirmed that it is an hernia, I believe I have had it for some years. Reason being, due to minor and major operations over the past 27rs could have contributed in some way. It is only these past 2mths or so that I have become aware that something was not right, meaning, discomfort in the stomach area and other symptoms that come with hernias, which I have read up on recently. Also the job that I have been doing for the past 10rs, which is physical and demanding most times will have had a helping hand in it somewhere along the way. What I am concerned about, is while I am waiting for this appointment for the CT scan, I have had and still have bowel problems. I had to go to A and E at my hospital the other day with a bowel obstruction, which then was prescribed with some laxative remedies! It did cure the bowel obstruction, but now when I pass motions, it is like water. What I think I am trying to say is, the hospital do not seem to be taking it seriously. I am having to wait for this appointment for this CT scan, and then will have to wait again for the outcome of that, before they decide what to do from there! In the meantime, they have given me painkillers to take. And I would also like to add, that I am still working, which again the hospital know that my job is physical etc; but never said anything like maybe it would be advisable you don't work for the time being.

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

For my hernia, I experienced symptoms like swelling in the groin area. I was constipated and my lower abdomen had become red and itchy.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?