Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Comment from: T. ECCLES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was recently told by my GP and specialist at the hospital that I could have a hernia, which kind as not been confirmed as yet, not until I have had, I think is called a CT scan! If it is confirmed that it is an hernia, I believe I have had it for some years. Reason being, due to minor and major operations over the past 27rs could have contributed in some way. It is only these past 2mths or so that I have become aware that something was not right, meaning, discomfort in the stomach area and other symptoms that come with hernias, which I have read up on recently. Also the job that I have been doing for the past 10rs, which is physical and demanding most times will have had a helping hand in it somewhere along the way. What I am concerned about, is while I am waiting for this appointment for the CT scan, I have had and still have bowel problems. I had to go to A and E at my hospital the other day with a bowel obstruction, which then was prescribed with some laxative remedies! It did cure the bowel obstruction, but now when I pass motions, it is like water. What I think I am trying to say is, the hospital do not seem to be taking it seriously. I am having to wait for this appointment for this CT scan, and then will have to wait again for the outcome of that, before they decide what to do from there! In the meantime, they have given me painkillers to take. And I would also like to add, that I am still working, which again the hospital know that my job is physical etc; but never said anything like maybe it would be advisable you don't work for the time being.

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

For my hernia, I experienced symptoms like swelling in the groin area. I was constipated and my lower abdomen had become red and itchy.

Comment from: Mr Happy Pants, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I had a left inguinal hernia repair in 2000. The repair felt tight and I would get sharp pains at random times. In 2007 I noticed a heavy rock like feeling. I developed a large mass in my left lower abdomen. Fearing cancer, the mass was removed only to discover it was due to my body rejecting the strap used to fix my hernia in 2000. Two years later, I am feeling another stone and can see the mass growing again. Hopefully someone someday will come up with a better solution. If you are going in for surgery, you might want to check to see what the chances are that your body will reject the strap too.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a hysterectomy and during the pre-op. I went for an MRI and found an umbilical hernia. I had it for quite a while apparently. They did a robotic hysterectomy and patched it with pig skin on 11/10. The hysterectomy part of my surgery is healing nicely and I was feeling really well. BUT, I screwed up and pulled my hernia badly and now I am back in excruciating pain and the doctor said there is nothing that can be done, and that if it heals badly he'll go back in when the hysterectomy is fully healed. Now, I'm back to being hunched over. I was just trying to not be such a burden on hubby and son and tried to get up without any I'm back to square one again. What a dumb move. Hate being an invalid. My advice is dont rush the recovery!

Comment from: painfullstomach, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I just came home today after having hernia repaired 2 days ago. It was not fun at all, and morphine didn't even dull the pain. Lol… I know it is important to cough and walk around but I'd pay to see one of the nurses or the doctor do it after abdominal surgery! They were all very nice though! Take care and good luck!

Comment from: jackee_o, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had 3 hernias repaired, two of them this year - one in March, the other in June, which was emergency surgery. Now, I have another one above the one I have had fixed 3 times. I really don't want to go through the surgery again.

Comment from: Needinghelp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had to have emergency ruptured ulcer surgery in November of 2006. I went to my family doctor this past Monday. I developed a knot in my stomach about 3-4 weeks ago kind of behind the incision from my surgery. When I showed it to my doctor, he immediately felt of the knot and told me that I now have a hernia. Then he went on to tell me that the only way for it to be fixed is to have surgery done on it. And I am SCARED to death. I remember the pain I went through in 2006. It is already about the size of my fist.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am having a surgery tomorrow for a double hernia. For the past three months I have had to work part-time because of the pain. After about an hour on my feet, I can feel and see the left hernia drop, and the pain is more like a burn. Thank goodness it will be over tomorrow!

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQ
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?