Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Comment from: Mr Happy Pants, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I had a left inguinal hernia repair in 2000. The repair felt tight and I would get sharp pains at random times. In 2007 I noticed a heavy rock like feeling. I developed a large mass in my left lower abdomen. Fearing cancer, the mass was removed only to discover it was due to my body rejecting the strap used to fix my hernia in 2000. Two years later, I am feeling another stone and can see the mass growing again. Hopefully someone someday will come up with a better solution. If you are going in for surgery, you might want to check to see what the chances are that your body will reject the strap too.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a hysterectomy and during the pre-op. I went for an MRI and found an umbilical hernia. I had it for quite a while apparently. They did a robotic hysterectomy and patched it with pig skin on 11/10. The hysterectomy part of my surgery is healing nicely and I was feeling really well. BUT, I screwed up and pulled my hernia badly and now I am back in excruciating pain and the doctor said there is nothing that can be done, and that if it heals badly he'll go back in when the hysterectomy is fully healed. Now, I'm back to being hunched over. I was just trying to not be such a burden on hubby and son and tried to get up without any assistance...now I'm back to square one again. What a dumb move. Hate being an invalid. My advice is dont rush the recovery!

Comment from: painfullstomach, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I just came home today after having hernia repaired 2 days ago. It was not fun at all, and morphine didn't even dull the pain. Lol… I know it is important to cough and walk around but I'd pay to see one of the nurses or the doctor do it after abdominal surgery! They were all very nice though! Take care and good luck!

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: jackee_o, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had 3 hernias repaired, two of them this year - one in March, the other in June, which was emergency surgery. Now, I have another one above the one I have had fixed 3 times. I really don't want to go through the surgery again.

Comment from: Needinghelp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had to have emergency ruptured ulcer surgery in November of 2006. I went to my family doctor this past Monday. I developed a knot in my stomach about 3-4 weeks ago kind of behind the incision from my surgery. When I showed it to my doctor, he immediately felt of the knot and told me that I now have a hernia. Then he went on to tell me that the only way for it to be fixed is to have surgery done on it. And I am SCARED to death. I remember the pain I went through in 2006. It is already about the size of my fist.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am having a surgery tomorrow for a double hernia. For the past three months I have had to work part-time because of the pain. After about an hour on my feet, I can feel and see the left hernia drop, and the pain is more like a burn. Thank goodness it will be over tomorrow!

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had hernia surgery on my belly button and my gallbladder taken out at the same time 3 years ago, last year I noticed the right side of my belly button was sticking out a little. I didn't really think much about it until it started getting bigger, now its huge, its mainly on the right side of my stomach, it doesn't hurt much unless I lift stuff that is heavy. I don't have insurance and the doctor wants $200.00 for the 1st office visit. The actual surgery cost $900.00. That's not the hospital, it could go as high as $20,000!

Well in October I started having pain like I had before I had my gallbladder out. Then my bowels stopped working. The only way I can have a bowel movement is by taking laxatives. I also have pain when I eat. I don't have insurance so I go to the VA. I have seen many doctors there and one told me I have a hernia. I am now seeing my sixth surgeon at the VA and he is saying the same as all the rest, it could be a hernia but as far as the constipation and pain from eating it is not related. I am getting so frustrated with all this. I know my body and all this started at the same time. The main problem I am having is all the tests are coming back normal. I had that problem with my gallbladder too and I had a stone blocking my bile duct. I am now enduring shots of lidocaine and steroids to see if it helps if not they are going to finally do surgery. I just wish they would educate themselves a little more on hernias and strangulation. They say it only takes 6 hrs for dead bowel now it has been 4 months.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?