Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Comment from: Lanise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have a hernia. It pops out when coughing or laying flat on my back. It looks like a small football. I had blood work and a cat scan done. My doctor referred me to a surgeon but the surgeon wants half the money up front and I am on unemployment. The bloating and heaviness is unreal. Doctor has not given me any kind of medication.

Comment from: Kara2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had a previous hernia and hernia repair surgery, plus abdominoplasty. I have a large scar from necrotic skin on my abdomen. However, for other past four years, I am experiencing another hernia. During the past two years it is very painful and shoots up through the abdomen like a hard fist and goes up into the stomach. I've seen a few doctors, when it was smaller, but they told me to leave well enough alone. Which I did, but now I have a bowel obstruction and I'm almost positive it's from the hernia and not an adhesion. I just don't know what to do, since none of the doctors I have seen want anything to do with it. I can't leave it alone, I'm afraid it will completely obstruct the bowel.

Comment from: Robin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I cough I have a big lump that pops out. My stomach hurts all the time. Two years ago I was operated on for a hernia and bowl blockage. I think it has come back. It has gotten real bad the past 4 days. I take about 40 Tums a day or more.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?