Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had hernia surgery on my belly button and my gallbladder taken out at the same time 3 years ago, last year I noticed the right side of my belly button was sticking out a little. I didn't really think much about it until it started getting bigger, now its huge, its mainly on the right side of my stomach, it doesn't hurt much unless I lift stuff that is heavy. I don't have insurance and the doctor wants $200.00 for the 1st office visit. The actual surgery cost $900.00. That's not the hospital, it could go as high as $20,000!

Well in October I started having pain like I had before I had my gallbladder out. Then my bowels stopped working. The only way I can have a bowel movement is by taking laxatives. I also have pain when I eat. I don't have insurance so I go to the VA. I have seen many doctors there and one told me I have a hernia. I am now seeing my sixth surgeon at the VA and he is saying the same as all the rest, it could be a hernia but as far as the constipation and pain from eating it is not related. I am getting so frustrated with all this. I know my body and all this started at the same time. The main problem I am having is all the tests are coming back normal. I had that problem with my gallbladder too and I had a stone blocking my bile duct. I am now enduring shots of lidocaine and steroids to see if it helps if not they are going to finally do surgery. I just wish they would educate themselves a little more on hernias and strangulation. They say it only takes 6 hrs for dead bowel now it has been 4 months.

Comment from: Lanise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have a hernia. It pops out when coughing or laying flat on my back. It looks like a small football. I had blood work and a cat scan done. My doctor referred me to a surgeon but the surgeon wants half the money up front and I am on unemployment. The bloating and heaviness is unreal. Doctor has not given me any kind of medication.

Comment from: Kara2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had a previous hernia and hernia repair surgery, plus abdominoplasty. I have a large scar from necrotic skin on my abdomen. However, for other past four years, I am experiencing another hernia. During the past two years it is very painful and shoots up through the abdomen like a hard fist and goes up into the stomach. I've seen a few doctors, when it was smaller, but they told me to leave well enough alone. Which I did, but now I have a bowel obstruction and I'm almost positive it's from the hernia and not an adhesion. I just don't know what to do, since none of the doctors I have seen want anything to do with it. I can't leave it alone, I'm afraid it will completely obstruct the bowel.

Comment from: Robin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I cough I have a big lump that pops out. My stomach hurts all the time. Two years ago I was operated on for a hernia and bowl blockage. I think it has come back. It has gotten real bad the past 4 days. I take about 40 Tums a day or more.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQ
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?