Viewer Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Comment from: Lionessg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had stomach issues for most of my life, attributed to IBS. This past April, I was diagnosed with pericardio effusion (fluid around the heart). I was treated with anti-inflamatories and was fine. When I was going into the hospital for a spinal cord stimulator for back pain (I also suffer from Fibromyalgia), I was told the swelling was back when a routine chest X-ray was done. A CT scan revealed a herniated gastric lumen. My gastro doctor followed up with an upper GI and then an endoscopy, and it was found that I had a diaphragmatic hernia, probably congenital. About 2/3 of my stomach had protruded through the hole and was rubbing against my heart, which was very likely the cause of the pericardio effusion. My back surgery was postponed, and I was scheduled for the following Monday for a hernia repair. They used the largest medical patch possible and 30 to 40 titanium staples that will remain inside permanently, several can be felt from the outside as they are against the inside of my rib cage. I was told there was very little space to work with as they could not "sew or attach" to the heart and had to kind of make it up as they went along. I was lucky they were able to do this laparoscopicly. I am now six weeks post-op and still feel as if I have been beaten by a pack of thugs! Since surgery I can't lift or move my right arm, a problem I never had to this severity. The pain, even though I am on a 100 mcg/hr fentanyl patch is at least an 8 at all times in my shoulder and I am having to take Vicodin for breakthrough pain in my abdomen about three to four times a day. I was told it was life threatening if I didn't have the hernia fixed. I feel worse than I was before and wonder if they have left me in worse condition and with a shorter life span as a result!

Comment from: spike, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 16

5 years after having a tram flap reconstruction I developed a bad pain between my waist and the surgical incision. It was decided by the surgeon, that the mesh holding my abdominal wall together had failed, and I would require corrective surgery. After having this procedure I developed pancreatitis, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I then was told my gall bladder had to be removed, which it was 2 months later. I have had 2 surgeries in a very short time. I now have quite a distended abdomen, to the point of constant pain after being on my feet for about 2 hours in the morning. The pain hovers around the original site on my left side. My surgeon told me to get used to it. Needless to say, I am very concerned that this hernia has returned.

Comment from: Stymied, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had a hiatal hernia for about 30 years now and its symptoms were always relieved by prescription medications until recently. Then I switched medications several times and still had discomfort. I have a very strange symptom, pain starts in the left chest side and underarm area and then goes down my arm and can also be felt in my back. This pain is quite sharp and will cause you to double over. The way I get it to go away is to raise my left arm and get rid of a lot of gas that seems to have filled my stomach.

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 32 years old and had a hernia for 9 years. Suddenly, one day, I experienced heavy pain in the area of the hernia, nausea, and back pain. Fourteen hours later, I was rushed to the emergency room. My small intestine got into the hernia, and a piece of my intestine died because of the fact that all blood circulation to the intestine was cut off. I had surgery, but the doctors only removed the piece of dead intestine. After three months, I was told to go back to surgery for the hernia to fill it up with mesh.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have a protruding area in my groin area. It is painful and very tender to the touch. I have been recently leaking urine at times out of the blue.

Comment from: alapahagirl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I've had problems with constipation most of my life. I had a pathologic hip fracture at age 11 and was in a body cast for six months, requiring enemas every other day. I'm 75 now and I have had multiple health problems including a nephrectomy 12 years ago for renal cancer. I have pretty bad arthritis, with a really bad back. I've had both knees replaced, but have declined back surgery. I'm unable to take NSAIDs due to the loss of a kidney, so I see a pain doctor and take Vicodin for my back. Anyway, all of this leads to more constipation. I do take stool softeners, not every day, but this seems to be too much.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQs
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, bowel, bladder) or fatty tissue pushes through a weak spot or tear in the abdominal muscles. Inguinal hernias oc...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Hernia?