Hiatal Hernia (cont.)
Hiatal Hernia Treatment
Self-Care at Home
Lifestyle changes are often necessary to avoid symptoms of hiatal hernia.
- Modify your activities:
- Minimize heavy lifting, straining, bending over.
- Improve seated posture; don't slouch.
- Exercise more.
- Lose weight.
- Sleep on an incline, with head of bed raised 4-6 inches on blocks.
- Choose standing activities after a meal rather than sitting or reclining.
- Modify your diet. Avoid the following:
- Fried or fatty foods
- Meals within 2-3 hours of bedtime
- Large meals (eat smaller meals more frequently)
- Try over-the-counter remedies. Check with your doctor or pharmacist first if you are taking other medications, are pregnant, or have
other medical conditions, before starting therapy at home.
- Antacids such as Mylanta, Maalox, Gaviscon, or Tums
for acute symptoms
- Antacids such as Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid, or Axid to prevent symptoms
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia: