Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: Rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am suffering with hiatal hernia attacks which feel like I'm having a heart attack. It lasts about 5 minutes. I just took a Cardiolite stress test because my pain goes from my chest into my neck, jaw and ear. I am waiting for results.

Comment from: debbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 25 years old and I just found out I have hiatal hernia. I start getting pain in my chest and my middle back would get hot. I felt a stabbing pain. I have to watch what I eat. The pain is unbearable.

Comment from: DebKay58, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about seven years ago. The last 4 years she has been having trouble breathing. She was told that she has asthma and it has been getting worse. She has been to so many doctors and to the best of them, but it wasn't until a month ago that they figured out why she is having trouble breathing. Her hiatal hernia has gotten so big it has been pressing on her lungs, which has actually ruined her lungs. It's been a long road, but finally they figured it out.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suffer from hiatal hernia pain. I get it in my back, chest, jaw, teeth and ribs. I don't get to sleep at night.

Comment from: Lady four, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was diagnosed with GERD about a year ago but found out today it is a tiny hiatal hernia. ENT doctor put me on omeprasole 40mg twice a day, yes you read that correctly. I'm on double the normal dose and twice a day. I was only on this dose for two months. I also elevated the head of my bed. Elevate the bed! I used bed risers from Walmart. Today I take medication only very rarely but still keep the bed elevated. Tried taking the risers out but ended up coughing and with pain. Hope this helps someone. Sure helped me!

Comment from: Nita, Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed with a mild hiatal hernia a couple years ago. I notice if I wear clothing that is tight around my waist, I have pain in my upper stomach. Also, spicy foods cause symptoms.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My husband has been suffering with the same symptoms everyone has mentioned, and he too has had everything done. He's been to the ER with arm and chest pain several times. We have had all the medications and tests, upper and lower GI, stomach emptying scans, gall bladder out, etc. However he has a symptom that no on else mentions, his saliva runs in his mouth continually and he has to spit in a container. Swallowing causes major bloating and belching. When he goes to bed he is generally silent, no spitting no belching, when he gets up in the morning it gradually starts up again. We have been everywhere, bought everything like everyone else, the saliva and belching is the worst.

Comment from: katie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had been having shortness of breath for some time and pain in the middle of my chest. I had seen several doctors and made two trips to the ER, but the doctors found nothing wrong. I did several tests, but they did not indicate what might be wrong: chest X-ray, blood tests, and a CT scan. I finally went to a chiropractor. He immediately diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia and I got immediate relief after just one treatment.

Comment from: Docjane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

About 9 years ago, my stomach went through my diaphragm into my chest cavity beside my heart. I was constantly vomiting and severe chest pain. I couldn't keep any food down and when I ate just a tiny bit of food, I would get severe pain. So I found out by gastroscope that my stomach had twisted as well. I was taken for surgery. If I didn't have survey the prognosis was death, so I went in a week later. I woke up to three chest tubes, an epidural, three IVs, a catheter, and then found out it took them eight hours to get me off the respirator and was finally took to step-down ICU. It was the scariest surgery I ever had. Here I am 9 years later to find out I have another hiatal hernia. I'm scared that I will have to go through the surgery again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was told I had hiatal hernia about 6 years ago - I now have constant pain on the right side middle of my chest.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?