Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just had an upper GI done and have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. It first began almost 2 years ago when I had symptoms of a heart attack. Numbing in my left arm and intense pain close to my heart, as well as dizziness. After going through every heart test known to man, I was cleared of heart trouble. My Dr did tell me to follow up with a gastroenterologist because sometimes gastro problems mimic heart pain. What strikes me as odd is that I have never had heartburn, acid reflux, and diarrhea or have had any repercussions from eating anything! So I did nothing and I have been fine until 6 months ago when I was treated for h pylori. It took about a month for it to go away, but ever since then my stomach has not been the same. I have what I can only describe as tightness in my stomach, almost like it is constricted if that makes any sense. Recently, I lost about 9 lbs when I lost my appetite. I would only eat when I felt dizzy and I knew this was messed up so I told my Dr about it. My liver enzymes and proteins were slightly elevated when she ran my blood work the first time. I have not gotten the results of my second round of blood work after I completed a round of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. It will be interesting to see if this liver/protein thing is from the hernia or the infection. So now that I have been diagnosed with this hernia then I will try and follow the food guidelines as I have always eaten whatever I wanted. I am supposed to use Malanta or Prilosec and possibly raise my head higher at night too...even though I don't have reflux!

Comment from: Rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am suffering with hiatal hernia attacks which feel like I'm having a heart attack. It lasts about 5 minutes. I just took a Cardiolite stress test because my pain goes from my chest into my neck, jaw and ear. I am waiting for results.

Comment from: debbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 25 years old and I just found out I have hiatal hernia. I start getting pain in my chest and my middle back would get hot. I felt a stabbing pain. I have to watch what I eat. The pain is unbearable.

Comment from: DebKay58, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about seven years ago. The last 4 years she has been having trouble breathing. She was told that she has asthma and it has been getting worse. She has been to so many doctors and to the best of them, but it wasn't until a month ago that they figured out why she is having trouble breathing. Her hiatal hernia has gotten so big it has been pressing on her lungs, which has actually ruined her lungs. It's been a long road, but finally they figured it out.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suffer from hiatal hernia pain. I get it in my back, chest, jaw, teeth and ribs. I don't get to sleep at night.

Comment from: Lady four, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was diagnosed with GERD about a year ago but found out today it is a tiny hiatal hernia. ENT doctor put me on omeprasole 40mg twice a day, yes you read that correctly. I'm on double the normal dose and twice a day. I was only on this dose for two months. I also elevated the head of my bed. Elevate the bed! I used bed risers from Walmart. Today I take medication only very rarely but still keep the bed elevated. Tried taking the risers out but ended up coughing and with pain. Hope this helps someone. Sure helped me!

Comment from: Nita, Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed with a mild hiatal hernia a couple years ago. I notice if I wear clothing that is tight around my waist, I have pain in my upper stomach. Also, spicy foods cause symptoms.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My husband has been suffering with the same symptoms everyone has mentioned, and he too has had everything done. He's been to the ER with arm and chest pain several times. We have had all the medications and tests, upper and lower GI, stomach emptying scans, gall bladder out, etc. However he has a symptom that no on else mentions, his saliva runs in his mouth continually and he has to spit in a container. Swallowing causes major bloating and belching. When he goes to bed he is generally silent, no spitting no belching, when he gets up in the morning it gradually starts up again. We have been everywhere, bought everything like everyone else, the saliva and belching is the worst.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?