Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was told I had hiatal hernia about 6 years ago - I now have constant pain on the right side middle of my chest.

Comment from: ian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I had been suspicious that I had a hernia for 25 years and had many of the symptoms of a hiatus version while not being able to figure out what the problem was until I got so nauseous I had to have an endoscopy. I was feeling worrying tight chest pains and occasional palpitations, a dull pain in the lower back, groin pain when walking and a permanent pain of varying intensity below the lung that felt like wind but never moved, along with the acid stomach and nausea.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female Published: March 12

I have a hiatal hernia for 6 years I am on medicine and try and watch what I eat. I just started with chest pain and the middle of my back hurts. I have had my gall bladder out three years ago, which is the best thing I ever did.

Comment from: rockymorris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I just got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I am having trouble following the diet that the doctor suggested for me.

Comment from: jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was given a endoscopy and told I have a hiatal hernia. After taking medicine for several years the doctor said I should not take the meds forever. I stopped taking the meds about 4 years ago now. My symptoms are back and are even worse. I cannot eat a small meal without feeling bloated. My stomach is sticks out after the meal and is hard.

Comment from: gillian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

With my hiatal hernia, I have neck back pain. It feels like something is stuck in my throat and I can't breathe very well. I also have constant pressure on my stomach and sinuses.

Comment from: amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I just found out that I have a hiatal hernia. I have a very hard time swallowing and just over the past two weeks I have been getting a lot of chest and upper middle back pain.

Comment from: proudmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had my esophagus stretched twice, just recently the third time. I had this done the last time because of choking on food and severe heartburn continuously. When I had this done, the doctor said everything looked good other than my esophagus. Yet here I still am in continues discomfort and pain. I am not a complainer, but seriously can't keep food down. I go back to the specialist Tuesday and am not leaving until I have answers.

Comment from: chef, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have had chest pain, difficulty swallowing and GERD for the last 4 years. I just was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Because I cannot take the medicine prescribed I was also checked for gallbladder functions. I have found a wonderful surgeon who explained to me that a wrap (hiatal repair) can solve the issue for good but not if my gallbladder was not functioning properly. Today is my surgery. I will follow up with the results. Wish me luck.

Comment from: 48butfeelin'great, Published: October 07

I am a 48 year old male with very few health problems. I have always eaten well, exercised, and I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. My only weakness is my love of coffee. I experienced occasional blood in my mouth upon waking for approximately two years. It was only recently that the blood went from a dark brown to a bright red that caused me to see the doctor. I do not have gas, heartburn or general indigestion problems, but the blood 'spooked' me a bit. When I went see my doctor he immediately requisitioned an X-ray of the stomach. Well, the results are back and I have been diagnosed with the hiatal hernia. I have been prescribed an acid lowering medicine that seems to help. However just recently I consumed a pizza, which is high in fat and the tomato sauce and is very acidic. I had an immediate reaction to the pizza, and have now realized that anything with tomato sauce is a no-go. I am only consuming one cup of morning coffee, no tea or soft drinks, and it seems to be held in check. A person has to discover themselves which foods trigger the event of acid reflux leading to blood in the mouth, and completely refrain from those foods. My doctor has suggested that I forget about surgery. He tells me to adjust my lifestyle; to get more exercise, and NOT to sit down after a meal. It is best to walk around the block a few times, and definitely do not lie down after a meal. He has told me that this condition is irreparable and that I can only manage the situation with good healthy eating habits.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?