Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: Tess, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am not sure what is going on with me, but one of my suspicions is a hiatal hernia. I have read symptoms from other writers and I believe that Kathy's seem the closest to mine. My symptoms of late are fainting spells, breathlessness, fatigue, sharp spasm and pain under my left breast, leaving me feeling very unwell. I have made three visits to Accident and Emergency and told I am not having a heart attack, and to control my breathing because it creates further symptoms of shakiness, weakness and no energy when talking. My body stiffens when walking which is close to a shuffle. I have burping and coughing and I neither drink nor smoke. I have lost some weight and my appetite is low.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just had an upper GI done and have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. It first began almost 2 years ago when I had symptoms of a heart attack. Numbing in my left arm and intense pain close to my heart, as well as dizziness. After going through every heart test known to man, I was cleared of heart trouble. My Dr did tell me to follow up with a gastroenterologist because sometimes gastro problems mimic heart pain. What strikes me as odd is that I have never had heartburn, acid reflux, and diarrhea or have had any repercussions from eating anything! So I did nothing and I have been fine until 6 months ago when I was treated for h pylori. It took about a month for it to go away, but ever since then my stomach has not been the same. I have what I can only describe as tightness in my stomach, almost like it is constricted if that makes any sense. Recently, I lost about 9 lbs when I lost my appetite. I would only eat when I felt dizzy and I knew this was messed up so I told my Dr about it. My liver enzymes and proteins were slightly elevated when she ran my blood work the first time. I have not gotten the results of my second round of blood work after I completed a round of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. It will be interesting to see if this liver/protein thing is from the hernia or the infection. So now that I have been diagnosed with this hernia then I will try and follow the food guidelines as I have always eaten whatever I wanted. I am supposed to use Malanta or Prilosec and possibly raise my head higher at night too...even though I don't have reflux!

Comment from: MIL327, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have a hiatal hernia. I had a tummy tuck and about a year later I thought the surgeon had left an instrument in me. Then I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia and I wonder if that is what I feeling.

Comment from: kendra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 31 year old female and have been having gastrointestinal problems. For years the doctors and I couldn't find an answer as to why so, after all the endoscopy and colonoscopy. It then was discovered that I had colon cancer and a hiatal hernia but I can't yet find a solution to my pain. I just ask anyone who has had or have a hernia what might be some of the things that may help me.

Comment from: Rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am suffering with hiatal hernia attacks which feel like I'm having a heart attack. It lasts about 5 minutes. I just took a Cardiolite stress test because my pain goes from my chest into my neck, jaw and ear. I am waiting for results.

Comment from: debbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 25 years old and I just found out I have hiatal hernia. I start getting pain in my chest and my middle back would get hot. I felt a stabbing pain. I have to watch what I eat. The pain is unbearable.

Comment from: DebKay58, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about seven years ago. The last 4 years she has been having trouble breathing. She was told that she has asthma and it has been getting worse. She has been to so many doctors and to the best of them, but it wasn't until a month ago that they figured out why she is having trouble breathing. Her hiatal hernia has gotten so big it has been pressing on her lungs, which has actually ruined her lungs. It's been a long road, but finally they figured it out.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suffer from hiatal hernia pain. I get it in my back, chest, jaw, teeth and ribs. I don't get to sleep at night.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow A barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?