Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: Lady four, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was diagnosed with GERD about a year ago but found out today it is a tiny hiatal hernia. ENT doctor put me on omeprasole 40mg twice a day, yes you read that correctly. I'm on double the normal dose and twice a day. I was only on this dose for two months. I also elevated the head of my bed. Elevate the bed! I used bed risers from Walmart. Today I take medication only very rarely but still keep the bed elevated. Tried taking the risers out but ended up coughing and with pain. Hope this helps someone. Sure helped me!

Comment from: Nita, Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed with a mild hiatal hernia a couple years ago. I notice if I wear clothing that is tight around my waist, I have pain in my upper stomach. Also, spicy foods cause symptoms.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My husband has been suffering with the same symptoms everyone has mentioned, and he too has had everything done. He's been to the ER with arm and chest pain several times. We have had all the medications and tests, upper and lower GI, stomach emptying scans, gall bladder out, etc. However he has a symptom that no on else mentions, his saliva runs in his mouth continually and he has to spit in a container. Swallowing causes major bloating and belching. When he goes to bed he is generally silent, no spitting no belching, when he gets up in the morning it gradually starts up again. We have been everywhere, bought everything like everyone else, the saliva and belching is the worst.

Comment from: katie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had been having shortness of breath for some time and pain in the middle of my chest. I had seen several doctors and made two trips to the ER, but the doctors found nothing wrong. I did several tests, but they did not indicate what might be wrong: chest X-ray, blood tests, and a CT scan. I finally went to a chiropractor. He immediately diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia and I got immediate relief after just one treatment.

Comment from: Docjane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

About 9 years ago, my stomach went through my diaphragm into my chest cavity beside my heart. I was constantly vomiting and severe chest pain. I couldn't keep any food down and when I ate just a tiny bit of food, I would get severe pain. So I found out by gastroscope that my stomach had twisted as well. I was taken for surgery. If I didn't have survey the prognosis was death, so I went in a week later. I woke up to three chest tubes, an epidural, three IVs, a catheter, and then found out it took them eight hours to get me off the respirator and was finally took to step-down ICU. It was the scariest surgery I ever had. Here I am 9 years later to find out I have another hiatal hernia. I'm scared that I will have to go through the surgery again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was told I had hiatal hernia about 6 years ago - I now have constant pain on the right side middle of my chest.

Comment from: ian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I had been suspicious that I had a hernia for 25 years and had many of the symptoms of a hiatus version while not being able to figure out what the problem was until I got so nauseous I had to have an endoscopy. I was feeling worrying tight chest pains and occasional palpitations, a dull pain in the lower back, groin pain when walking and a permanent pain of varying intensity below the lung that felt like wind but never moved, along with the acid stomach and nausea.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female Published: March 12

I have a hiatal hernia for 6 years I am on medicine and try and watch what I eat. I just started with chest pain and the middle of my back hurts. I have had my gall bladder out three years ago, which is the best thing I ever did.

Comment from: rockymorris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I just got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I am having trouble following the diet that the doctor suggested for me.

Comment from: jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was given a endoscopy and told I have a hiatal hernia. After taking medicine for several years the doctor said I should not take the meds forever. I stopped taking the meds about 4 years ago now. My symptoms are back and are even worse. I cannot eat a small meal without feeling bloated. My stomach is sticks out after the meal and is hard.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?