Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: Miserable, 35-44 Female Published: May 24

I have all of the symptoms of hiatal hernia mentioned here plus the horrible feeling of burning right at the rib line across my abdomen when I drink or eat something with alot of acid. This is not a good thing.

Comment from: bj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and it is 6cm in size. They have me on Zantac and Omerprazole. I have been bloated for approximately 4 years without any relief. The doctor thinks but doesn't know for sure what the cause is. He says it maybe due to the size. I do not have any pain just bloating and gas which is horrible. They have me on a diet but still unable to lose any weight.

Comment from: Louie , 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My son has a bloating all time feels like he cannot get the pressure off his stomach, has ulcers in small intestine track. He has gone to several doctors and no one can help him. He swallowed a camera. He is 47 years. old. Needs help . We don't know what else to do.

I have a Hiatal Hernia. I have all off the symptoms you all describe. I'm not alone!!!!!. I have recently, after advice from a friend, started to drink lots of Cranberry Juice. I was told it really helps and it really does. I am still on my medication but it has taken away that horrible feeling of I was about to be sick away. I have heard that yoga is good also, as better posture helps. So I will be giving this a try.

Comment from: AUDREY, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

With hiatal hernia, I experience constant painful indigestion after eating fruits and vegetables. I have acid reflux and take Nexium daily.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

Upper middle chest pains, heartburn, indigestion and a lot of belching. Need to eat slower due to food not going down.

Comment from: agnes, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Pressure under my breast bone, irritation after drinking alcohol.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?