Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: chef, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have had chest pain, difficulty swallowing and GERD for the last 4 years. I just was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Because I cannot take the medicine prescribed I was also checked for gallbladder functions. I have found a wonderful surgeon who explained to me that a wrap (hiatal repair) can solve the issue for good but not if my gallbladder was not functioning properly. Today is my surgery. I will follow up with the results. Wish me luck.

Comment from: 48butfeelin'great, Published: October 07

I am a 48 year old male with very few health problems. I have always eaten well, exercised, and I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. My only weakness is my love of coffee. I experienced occasional blood in my mouth upon waking for approximately two years. It was only recently that the blood went from a dark brown to a bright red that caused me to see the doctor. I do not have gas, heartburn or general indigestion problems, but the blood 'spooked' me a bit. When I went see my doctor he immediately requisitioned an X-ray of the stomach. Well, the results are back and I have been diagnosed with the hiatal hernia. I have been prescribed an acid lowering medicine that seems to help. However just recently I consumed a pizza, which is high in fat and the tomato sauce and is very acidic. I had an immediate reaction to the pizza, and have now realized that anything with tomato sauce is a no-go. I am only consuming one cup of morning coffee, no tea or soft drinks, and it seems to be held in check. A person has to discover themselves which foods trigger the event of acid reflux leading to blood in the mouth, and completely refrain from those foods. My doctor has suggested that I forget about surgery. He tells me to adjust my lifestyle; to get more exercise, and NOT to sit down after a meal. It is best to walk around the block a few times, and definitely do not lie down after a meal. He has told me that this condition is irreparable and that I can only manage the situation with good healthy eating habits.

Comment from: tednbarb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

With my hernia I have pain in stomach and chest, choking and coughing, difficulty swallowing, heartburn, intense nausea, and it feels like something is stuck in my throat.

Comment from: tlentz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia back in 2002. I had been telling my doctor something is wrong. I had bad heartburn, shortness of breath; the right side of my back hurt constantly, and I was putting away a bottle of Tums in approximately 5 to 6 days. Finally in October he sent me to a specialist and I had to drink barium and that's when I found out I have a "large" hiatal hernia. I was scared to death!!!!!!

Comment from: tmini, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I too was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I spent an entire year in misery. I had severe pain between my shoulder blades, heart palpitations, anxiety, distended stomach, low energy and always had to snack between meals. I tried different diets, but nothing helped. It hurt to even drive over a speed bump. I had a bunch of tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and sonogram. So, after a year of trying to heal myself I thought I would go to another doctor. I told him I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. He said, well lots of people have those, but you should not be having that many problems. He had me submit to a simple blood test and he looked for several things. He found the problem right away. I had a high dose of H. pylori bacteria in my stomach. It is the bacteria that causes ulcers, although I did not have one. Please everyone, if you have severe stomach problems, take the simple blood test, or breath test and find out if you have this bacteria. I was cured with a triple set of pills called a Prevpac. Look up H. pylori for yourself. It is a nasty bug and is hard to kill. Many people suffer with this. I feel great now!

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have two distinct symptoms: 1. The esophagus squeezes shut on a piece of bread or dry meat. It has occurred when drinking a very cold drink. I must wait for it to release. There is a pain like a heart attack with lots of pressure and breathing is difficult. (I have had one heart attack). 2. Sometimes when I lie down to sleep, the mouth of my stomach lets the contents out into the esophagus. I get a sour taste and a burning sensation.

Comment from: connie, 45-54 Male Published: February 04

For my hiatal hernia, my food was not going down. I had severe pain in my chest and I was vomiting bile. I could hardly drink anything.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 14

I have an acute pain in my upper chest, even finding that my glands are sore. Painful when I lift my arms or move in certain ways.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?