Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: tednbarb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

With my hernia I have pain in stomach and chest, choking and coughing, difficulty swallowing, heartburn, intense nausea, and it feels like something is stuck in my throat.

Comment from: tlentz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia back in 2002. I had been telling my doctor something is wrong. I had bad heartburn, shortness of breath; the right side of my back hurt constantly, and I was putting away a bottle of Tums in approximately 5 to 6 days. Finally in October he sent me to a specialist and I had to drink barium and that's when I found out I have a "large" hiatal hernia. I was scared to death!!!!!!

Comment from: tmini, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I too was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I spent an entire year in misery. I had severe pain between my shoulder blades, heart palpitations, anxiety, distended stomach, low energy and always had to snack between meals. I tried different diets, but nothing helped. It hurt to even drive over a speed bump. I had a bunch of tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and sonogram. So, after a year of trying to heal myself I thought I would go to another doctor. I told him I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. He said, well lots of people have those, but you should not be having that many problems. He had me submit to a simple blood test and he looked for several things. He found the problem right away. I had a high dose of H. pylori bacteria in my stomach. It is the bacteria that causes ulcers, although I did not have one. Please everyone, if you have severe stomach problems, take the simple blood test, or breath test and find out if you have this bacteria. I was cured with a triple set of pills called a Prevpac. Look up H. pylori for yourself. It is a nasty bug and is hard to kill. Many people suffer with this. I feel great now!

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have two distinct symptoms: 1. The esophagus squeezes shut on a piece of bread or dry meat. It has occurred when drinking a very cold drink. I must wait for it to release. There is a pain like a heart attack with lots of pressure and breathing is difficult. (I have had one heart attack). 2. Sometimes when I lie down to sleep, the mouth of my stomach lets the contents out into the esophagus. I get a sour taste and a burning sensation.

Comment from: connie, 45-54 Male Published: February 04

For my hiatal hernia, my food was not going down. I had severe pain in my chest and I was vomiting bile. I could hardly drink anything.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 14

I have an acute pain in my upper chest, even finding that my glands are sore. Painful when I lift my arms or move in certain ways.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow A barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?