Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have two distinct symptoms: 1. The esophagus squeezes shut on a piece of bread or dry meat. It has occurred when drinking a very cold drink. I must wait for it to release. There is a pain like a heart attack with lots of pressure and breathing is difficult. (I have had one heart attack). 2. Sometimes when I lie down to sleep, the mouth of my stomach lets the contents out into the esophagus. I get a sour taste and a burning sensation.

Comment from: connie, 45-54 Male Published: February 04

For my hiatal hernia, my food was not going down. I had severe pain in my chest and I was vomiting bile. I could hardly drink anything.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 14

I have an acute pain in my upper chest, even finding that my glands are sore. Painful when I lift my arms or move in certain ways.

Comment from: keeperoffaith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am a 41 year old female who has been slightly overweight most of my adult life. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and I feel like it is the end of my life. I have pain under my diaphragm all the time, I want to eat mostly late at night, and I feel horrible and sick to the stomach most mornings. My doctor did an EGD and found this hernia. I had a colonoscopy done also and found out I had grade 2 hemmoroids. I have lost about 12 pounds within 2 months. God will be the one who blesses me to get over this because my doctor seems to know nothing about surgery for this problem.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male Published: June 15

I have suffered with a hiatal hernia for 24 years. After eliminating caffeine, I started drinking decaffeinated green tea and increased my intake of water. That combined with regular chiropractic adjustments (every 4 weeks back and neck) have allowed me to enjoy a 1/2 and 1/2 coffee a couple of times a week as well as the occasional caffeinated diet coke. If I get too carried away, a nexium for a day or two gets me back in line. A regular fitness routine, nightly walk, gym visit helps too. It took me a good 3-4 years to understand my limitations with diet. The worst thing you can do if you suffer from this is to eat a big meal after 8 o'clock at night or just lay down after any big meal. Hope this helps.

Comment from: nambr2450, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was told last week that I also have hiatal hernia, but I know that I have had it for years. Every time I complained to the Dr I never got a straight answer just put on another pill. I am taking the meds and the major pain is gone, problem is I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life. My grandmother died from cancer of the esophagus, which is what can happen when you have constant heartburn. I am hoping that the doctor will do surgery.

Comment from: Miserable, 35-44 Female Published: May 24

I have all of the symptoms of hiatal hernia mentioned here plus the horrible feeling of burning right at the rib line across my abdomen when I drink or eat something with alot of acid. This is not a good thing.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?