Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Comment from: Will Do, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Was in the hospital several times with upper abdomen pain and was always tested over and over for heart problems. There were none. After six days in the hospital I felt just as bad as when I went in. I had been suffering with loud belches and shortness of breath and no sleep. When I came home I felt that there was no help available. My wife read that a chiropractor might help hiatal hernias. I went and after one treatment I felt better than I had in two years. Two treatments are all I had and now I'm fine.

Comment from: Pegster65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about 5 months ago. I had pain and pressure in mid chest along with heartburn and pain radiating into my upper back. I have lost 30 lbs in the last 8 months over this and there are days when any food I put in my mouth causes severe pain and pressure. Also have trouble breathing when it gets bad. My doctor has not even mentioned surgery to fix it but I think it might come to that. I can't live like this anymore.

Comment from: Linda6343, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I constantly get chest pain, and on two separate occasions I have had excruciating pain in my upper back between the shoulder blades that lasted about an hour. Since I got rid of some of the stress in my life after my divorce, that back pain hasn't returned, but I still get the chest pain with belching, and I also get GERD if I eat the wrong kind of food. It's difficult to pinpoint what foods bother my hernia because it seems that any food I eat brings on chest pain and/or GERD. I was taking Protonix for the GERD but I need help in finding a way to eliminate the hiatal hernia. I have read that the hiatal hernia is the reason for the GERD. I would appreciate anyone writing back with any information on this topic. Thank you.

Comment from: this has worked for, 65-74 Female Published: October 14

I have had a hiatus hernia for a long time and endured years of pain, trips to the ER, heart tests that were all Ok. After all this I finally had an upper GI and learned it was a hernia. Later, I read somewhere that drinking a big glass of water would cause the hernia to go back down. This has worked like a charm for me when I have this pain.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I had a severe pain in my solar plexus that lasted for about 3 hours, then vomiting and shivering. These symptoms repeated a few days later and a Blood tests showed abnormal readings for the liver and my doctor and I suspected gall stones. After a third incident I went into hospital and was given a drip with antibiotics. After an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan there was nothing wrong with liver, gall bladder or bile duct although I did have a severe infection of biliary cholethiasis and sepsis with klebsiella pneumonia, cured by the antibiotics. A follow up gastroscopy showed that I have a sliding hiatal hernia. Fortunately, living in England where we have a National Health Service, none of this costs me anything. I am pain free but there is increased risk of esophagal cancer so biopsy results are awaited and I will need treatment to illiminate Helicobacter pylori. It's probably harmless but may increase risk of ulcers.

Comment from: Child Of God, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in the early 90s. In which I have experienced excruciating pain in between my breast that goes to my back. I have been to the ER in the past many times to be sure it wasn't my heart. I was given a GI cocktail of Milk of magnesia and pain killer that stopped the pain. I take Prilosec daily but when I miss too many doses that old familiar pain comes back. I have also been prescribed non narcotic pain killers that also helped. Certain foods with acid and medications will irritate as well.

Comment from: grandpamspumpkin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

My best friend Sarah has had a hiatal hernia for about 1 year or so now her GI Dr. Livingston won't take out her hernia and she is having all of the symptoms of the hiatal hernia since she was diagnosed. She can't hold anything down in her stomach. I feel so horrible for her since she is my best friend. She sees her doctor on Thursday hope everything goes well!!

Comment from: Miserable 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia after having an upper GI series done. I have constant discomfort in the upper abdomen and chest, and I get pain when I lift, bend or get upset or stressed. I also have back pain and should pain, especially at night.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?